Any good Arbans studies?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetplayer231, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    My fav Arbans is First Section, #46. It's got everything. Covers all keys, pretty long for endurance when you play it slower than what's indicated. It's all intervals so helps with that and your "ear". I do it slurred and tongued even though it indicates staccato.

2. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I recommend the platinum editioin as it seems like one of the newer versions and comes with a CD.

Basically Arbans is over 100 years old so different versions are typically going to be re-printing with some slight tweaks or updates from over the years but they should all have most of the same content. The best one to get is the one that you are actually going to use. So as an example I have a condensed one (2 year prescott method) which I used to sometimes carry around which was primarily just easier to carry around than a much heavier / thicker arbans, but now I'm back to using the bigger version because it has most stuff that I use on a more regular basis that isn't included in my condensed version.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I also have the platinum edition. The CD has piano accompaniments for some of the studies in the back. Lately, I've been using a free (and legal) PDF version on my Android tablet, since it's much more portable.

But I think you're right that all of the versions are essentially the same.

Mike

4. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    Get the platinum edition if only because it lies flat.

5. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    I've actually got the yellow one, had it for years, only to find out just a month or so ago it's the incomplete version. But really, it's all I've needed. Get whichever one you want, but if I had to choose I'd get the platinum.