Any Good Skype Teachers you have actually taken lessons from?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MFaddicted, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ...about intonation and bridging peddle tones.

3. MFaddicted

MFaddicted New Friend

May 8, 2014
    Cool, now who would you AVOID and WHY? That actually may be a better start in my search...

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Looks like Big Dub has resigned as the Doc's editor!! :-)

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I guess it took some Haagling!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Actually, BigDub is out of commission for a bit. He is in recovery at this time, undergoing rehab for an injury he sustained of recent. Our kind thoughts are with him for a speedy recovery. In the meanwhile, my posts will only be half legible

7. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    On the good list include Jason Klobnak, a.k.a., DrKlobz here on TM. You can check out his web site , jasonklobnak for details. I've been working with him for about 6-7 months and have learned alot.

Rick

8. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm guessing you should avoid people who don't know "a freakin scale or chord". ;-)

Mike

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope, never.

It is also my personal belief that there are things that we cannot virtualize.

Practice monitoring is perhaps possible, but I define lessons as something more intimate. There is a difference between giving tips or real TEACHING.

If I consider what gets worked on most when I give lessons, I can say that it is impossible even with an HD connection to get enough info to TEACH and see what the students body and breathing are doing.

I am sure if we start collecting real data that the performance of online lessons would very easily be "put in its place". If the student only wants tips, then I guess it is only an issue of whether someone wants to pay for them in this way. The whole concept does not fit with my knowledge of the human body, mind or soul.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yep, technology has not yet developed holographic imaging and/or biometric attachments the student must wear during lessons. I concur the best lessons can only be given live ... person to person.