Any Good Skype Teachers you have actually taken lessons from?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MFaddicted, Jul 6, 2014.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    You're both full of it I taken Skype for a year you don't know what your talking about probably two old farts
    learned a lot you don't know everything Rowe or whatever your name is. Anthony

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have taught many Skype lessons. They work well and my repeat students show great progress. I think it's a wonderful asset for folks around the world to take lessons with someone from the comfort of their living room.

;)

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Anthony,
    why am I full of it? Do you know where you would be if you got personal attention? No one denies that you can get tips over the internet. Seeing how over 80% of my lessons involve body use and that I have had hundreds of students in my life, I am well withing my constitutional rights to report on what I have learned - even if you with a statistical sample of one disagree.

The question was: Any good skype teachers that you have actually taken lessons from? My answer remains no. This does not mean that there are none - just none that I can out of personal experience recommend. I have also never worked with a student whose PLAYING got better with Skype lessons. They had learned things, in part interpreted them VERY wrongly.

You are right, I do not know everything. I also do not claim that I do. I do have a problem when someone without any serious experience posts crap about "old farts" and assumptions about what experience brings to the table.

I could earn a lot of money by giving online lessons. It would frustrate the hell out of me because there are so many things that do not work. I am not in this for the money. I have no commercial interests. My answer remains no. Lessons no, tips yes, success-no proof!

4. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm in an interesting situation on this actually. My teacher, Bruce, lives about 30 minutes away. And while most of the time I take lessons in person, sometimes I can't get away from work or I have nobody to watch the kids in the summer or the weather is bad. On those days, we just do the lesson via Skype. I always get something different out of a Skype lesson than I do in person. Bruce always wears ear plugs when I'm there in person. I think this is smart as over the many years of playing there is risk of damage. But over Skype, he can adjust the volume through the headset and hear my tone, tonguing, etc. without the filter of the ear plugs. During my last Skype lesson he was able to tell me that I was not correctly using the tongue cut-off on my jazz quarter notes.

In my experience, there are pro's and con's to a Skype lesson. I'm glad that I have a hybrid model I can use.

Mark

5. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    See Rowku you don't know everything. ....I should stop my TM membership you people don't know anything Love Anthony

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Ummmm .... +1 ??? ;-)

To the OP -- I have a traditional trumpet teacher, but I've also had a few Skype lessons.

For me personally, I saw them as a way to learn from anyone, in spite of geographic limitations. I found it a useful way to gain insight from someone who's expertise was not locally available.

But there are trade-offs. The technology is limited. It's easy to distort your sound using a microphone that was never meant to record a trumpet. There is no face-to-face contact, and limited ability to assess body language, breathing, or other visual information. In addition, I've valued the personal contact I've had with my private teachers.

Everyone is different. And there are different reasons for wanting to go with Skype lessons. So there's no right answer for everyone or for every situation.

If you're looking for teacher recommendations, Trent Austin (who has already chimed in), Nick Drozdoff, Pops McLaughlin, and Eric Bolvin are all members of TM, are all great guys, and all give Skype lessons. I'm sure there are several other good choices, too.

Mike

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Anthony, what did you understand? CFKID gets regular live lessons from someone and fills in the holes with the same TEACHER who intimately knows his strengths and weaknesses over Skype.

You could stop posting garbage when you have nothing to say. There is no reason to leave Trumpetmaster. If things get out of hand, we have ways of solving them.

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I didn't resign, hang on there. I already said I can't keep up with the multitude of work required, plus I have no way of knowing if he's spelling a name right, unless it's my own, on a check..........but he can spell it most any way he wants as long as I can cash it!
    AND- go easy on me guys, I'm laying in a rehab bed with a broken femur. But my brain is still attached.........

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Big Dub, because your brain is still attached, I won't declare it optimally functional while you are receiving pain meds for your broken leg. Just consider the advantage that you'll be unable to respond to many life circumstances for awhile, thus can stay at your easel.

10. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    yes, true Ed. I do not have such amenities here at the rehab clinic, so the easel and trumpet and stand will remain at home.......
    They are something to look forward to in the short run.....