Any good suggestions for Method books?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetplayer231, Oct 11, 2012.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    OK. I am going to take a we bit of a different approach. All the books mentioned are great but they are just exercise books. Exercises are meaningless unless you know what you are supposed to get of them in terms of moving your technique forward. Even more important is "how" the exercises are to be done. I would get only two books. First, is the Irons book as suggested. The reason is that it is the only book that illustrates and explaines exactly what you are supposed to do with your tongue in terms of creating an arch to play higher notes. Second, (not not second) is "A comprehensive Practice Routine for the Aspiring Brass Player" by Don E. Johnson. He takes exercise complied from many of the books already suggested and explains in detail how to do the exercises and what you are supposed "feel" as you do the exercise. And, he take a progressive approach for each example, so if you are a beginner you have a decent place to start. The routine that he assembles helps you to cover the basics then expand as you improve or have more time.

Getting all these books can be overwhelming and give someone the feeling of not knowing where to start and how to proceed. Don Johnson's book will help you put it all together.

Good Luck,

BrotherBACH

2. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User

Here are two new books that others are adding to their daily routine:

Give It The 3rd Finger - Studies, Etudes and Duets

These studies, etudes and duet books are all about developing your 3rd finger.

You know what I'm talking about, it's the one that really hangs you up when you're playing scales and arpeggios, and completely messes you up when you're really trying to impress your friends and amaze your audiences.... :-) - You can download free sample pages from each book, see below.

Comments from others:

"Mark, the yellow book reminds me of the “Clarke” exercises; excellent, focused and thorough. I’m repeating each exercise as many times as I can in one breath, so it gives me a good work out! Of course, I can feel the 3rd finger getting the special attention that it needs. Actually; after practicing the exercises, then waiting for a bit and coming back to the horn, that’s when I feel the result of the previous practice session."

Craig Turley - pro trumpet player who works with the top name performing artists in the entertainment business - Orlando, FL - CraigTurley.com

---

"Mark, even though I no longer play and teach very, very little ... I will not hesitate to recommend these studies to any and all. They are great, and after all, one can never have too many third finger studies."

Don Owen
    Professor Emeritus
    University of South Florida School of Music
    The Florida Orchestra

Info on the two books...

Give It The 3rd Finger - Etudes and Duets

12 Trumpet Etudes and 12 Matching Duets For Making Your 3rd Finger Work Right

Lots and lots of "Give It The 3rd Finger" fun!

In this book you work on the 12 etudes AND then play the 12 matching duets with students, teachers, and fellow players too.

All of the etudes and matching duets in this book target your 3rd finger while playing a variety of interesting melodies, articulations, and ranges. Developing your 3rd finger strength, technique, and coordination will improve all of your abilities to play with more agility, musicality, and confidence.

Titles of etudes and matching duets include:

Reflections, 12/8 Twister, Relic Hunter, It's Good To Be The King, Pentatonic With A Twist, Chromatinooga Choo Choo, It's A Phrygian Phantasy, Just For Giggles, Skeeter's Waltz, Mixolydian Mixup, The Rescue of Princess Lydian, and one surprise just to keep you hanging!

Visit the webpage for free sample PDF. For the sample, the top line of each duet is approximately the first half of the etude. In the full printed book, there are 12 etudes and 12 matching duets that target your 3rd finger plus some bonus 3rd finger studies too. In the print book, the complete etudes are printed on separate pages from the matching duets.

- - -

Give It The 3rd Finger - 101 Trumpet Studies For Making Your 3rd Finger Work Right, And Your Tongue And Chops Too

All of the studies in this book target your 3rd finger while playing a variety of interesting patterns, articulations, and ranges. Developing your 3rd finger strength, technique, and coordination will improve all of your abilities to play with more agility, musicality, and confidence.

More info and free sample PDFs at: MPH Music - Mark Hendricks - MPHmusic.com

As always, my best to you --

Mark Hendricks

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Would it be a safe assumption that the OP has, by now, bought his new book(s)?