any good ways for working up double tounging?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by the trumpetguy, Apr 11, 2008.

1. the trumpetguy

the trumpetguy New Friend

Feb 21, 2008
    im getting better at it but im just wondering if theres any good techniques for working on it?

2. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    practice at all speeds with a metronome. Also the Clarke practice of just verbalizing the syllables away from the trumpet

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Try to keep the same sound on the vowel in both the "ta" and the "ka" notes. And don't stop blowing. Its double airing :-D

4. the trumpetguy

the trumpetguy New Friend

Feb 21, 2008
    ya thats my problem is keeping the same like spaced sound. i can do it if i do like a single tounge and then quick double tounging for just likw one beat but i can double tounge quick continuesly without get two diffrent sounds.

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Try an exercise playing only "ka" sounds, so instead of "Ta-ka-ta-ka-ta"
    go "ka-ka-ka-ka-ka"
    Get it so you have a good ka sound and then bring in the takatakata

6. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    also try to bring the k syllable as far forward as you can. for some people the d-g can work too.

7. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Arban has quite a nice section on double and tripple toungueing.once you have whatever syllables you are useing nice an even its just a matter of making it part of your routine.Don"t learn it an forget it.I warm up with major and minor scales always doubling and tripple tounging them ever day so that the muscles in the k syllalble stay worked.