Any ideas on60's Rock music with horn parts?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Nov 20, 2011.

1. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    It was 25 years ago... I'm over it now I hope. The best part was that they never paid me, and after the fact called my appearance with the band an "audition" rather than an actual gig. AND... while there, someone broke into my car smashing out the driver's side window (a 1973 Galaxie 500). The door was unlocked, they could have just opened the door.

I don't know how you can ever expect to have horn subs without written charts.

2. BrassEye

BrassEye Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2011
    Ok, THAT'S low... Some people may not have let them off quite so lightly as it seems you did.

3. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    ....so, there I was, minding my business, when my boss walks by and throw a TOP cd on my desk and says, "You used to be a horn player, learn this.".......that was 5 years ago when I came to find y'all. Six months later I was STRUGGLING to learn 12 new charts a month.... by ear. Written charts you say? HA! I finally created a cheat book using the letter note progressions of all the horn tunes in the set. I can play by ear fairly well, so learning the rhythms, entries and exits were a lot easier. Hardest part was finding a way to use the cheat book on stage.....hid it behind the floor monitor. Took a load of crap from the rest of the band members until one night as I drifted through the guitar player's area on stage and found HIS cheat book. Traditional charts are hard to read on stage & time between tunes is really quick, best learn to memorize..... and write notes in large black letters until you can. My boss......he's a bass player.....figures, but I'm glad he insulted me that day. I got your "used to be a horn player"..........:cool:

4. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Two different R&B Bands I play in does not have music. They call out a song, call a key and off we go. Four horns with harmonys, and yes hundreds of tunes and not all "Just standards".
    Tower of Power, Chicago, EWF, Paul Simon, Joe Cocker, James Brown, Doobies, Luther Vandros, Jimmy Buffet, Seger, AWB, Delbert McClinton, Macero Parker.....to name a few.....no music....
    it is fairly common, but then, it's not for everybody. The band I play in full time..( my home band) has over 160 tunes in the library and unless your a sub, no books on stage, and yes there ARE
    books in this band to all the songs we play. If you want to work in todays music scene this is the "Norm". Sheet music is a gift.

5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Yup. I jumped in on a classic rock band in HS (that stuff is REALLY classic now) playing bass, and with only about two weeks to prep I still had a small card with the chords taped to the top of my combo.

On a side note, Hal Leonard has a great BS&T book with the horn parts written out quite accurately, including solos.

6. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Take any song like "Billie Jean" from a place the "the midi database here: Free MIDI | Michael Jackson MIDI Files

Then open the file with Finale. Cheap versions of it exist here: https://www.finalemusic.com/Store/U...medium=email&utm_campaign=NPtoPM_EM3_10-12-11

Make sure you get the one with the "Mass Edit" tool. The cheaper versions are still helpful but do not contain the mass edit feature. Which wastes your time if you don't have it.

Use the "get parts" function and print out the horn lines or other parts.

7. jonmenges

jonmenges New Friend

Oct 22, 2012