Any ideas what make/age this instrument may be?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by davidquinlan, Apr 5, 2004.

1. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Hi all,

I bought this "restoration project" from Ebay recently and it does not have any manufacturers stamp on it, other than an anchor stamped on the 2nd valve.
    It actually plays ok, despite how it looks. The rotary valve changes the key of the instrument from Bb to A and with some main tuning slide adjustment it all seems to work fine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    no idea, but that looks pretty old!

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hopefully Tom will be along shortly; he's got a clue about some of this old stuff. If he doesn't, go to Nick DeCarlis' website. He specializes in old horns.
    http://www.bobbyhackett.com/html/contact_me_vintage_cornet_corn.htm

Nick answers pretty quickly and he's a nice guy; very knowledgeable and willing to share his information.

4. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

The pinky hook may be the giveaway clue on this one, for they were not employed until the early '30s generally. Also, the rotary valve that changed the horn to "A" was a passing fad of the '20's and early '30s.

Naturally, there were some variants in that time frame, but I expect the horn was made between about 1920-1935. If pushed harder, I'd probably guess 1925-1930.

The horn also employs the narrow F. Besson wrap that soon came to be employed by virtually all trumpet makers for what a trumpet should look and sound like. Generally the best trumpets of this design stuck with the narrow wrap until the '50's before employing a slightly "taller" tuning slide variation so copied today.

Enjoy!

Tom

5. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Hi folks,

Thanks for your answers.

I am going to see Leigh at FCB tomorrow morning to have an estimate of what restoration costs of this trumpet may be. It has been in bits soaking in soapy water for the last few days until about 10 mins ago when I put it back together.

Oh, and yes, I'll get to try out the Eclipse Bb again, the Equinox Bb (this time I'll use my Warburton 3BC to see how Cornet like this instrument can sound!!) ..... and the Eclipse C, and maybe something else!! :D :D :D