Any ideas why I get ambushed?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BachStrad1, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Methinks this problem drives psychologists to their wits end and mostly to no patient benefit. I do my best when I can see my audience as in church. I think those with such a problem also do not fair well in public speaking.

2. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Churchman, you got it. It's very transient in nature. I know why, in general, anxiety can be experienced, just not sure why I get these sudden symptoms without any overt reasons. Public speaking doesn't bother me. On the whole, I enjoy performing, but my performance suffers when I get in one of these loops. I'm probably just overthinking and overanalyzing and tripping myself up.No viola players, but would it help if I turned the lead alto's horn into a shiny soccer ball? I try to avoid string players..they fret too much even when there's nothing to fret on...and as for strippin down to my skivvies, our bass bone player usually has his pants at half staff in dance band...it would look like I'm trying to one up him...anybody got a quarter? Hey-o!

3. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Sometimes one can be more tired than they realize, or fluctuations of blood sugar or nutrition...all these can cause an "ambush" situation...at least in my experience.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    It sounds like an anxiety disorder, not just random nerves.
    Don't mess around denying it, asking for advice from random people or living with it.
    See a doctor that knows how to treat anxiety disorders and get healed.

I did and my playing improved to another level I couldn't have imagined when I was living
    with anxiety.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Please, please do leave the diagnoses to physicians. I do not believe this is an anxiety "disorder" at all. At the worse, an Adjustment disorder, but MOST LIKELY an anxiety reaction. This is NOT a disorder. It is a normal physiological response to the unknown. See my previous post regarding the evolution of the species.

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    No. If it's a cover band gig, the trick is to get the chick singer to strip down to her underwear.

But seriously - I've been performing for decades and I get "ambushed". I know what that is like. And I won't pretend to know what any physical or psychological reasons for it there may be because of its random nature. I have literally performed before Presidents and Queens and half a million people live and yet have gotten uncontrollable shakes out of nowhere before performing at gigs full of benevolent folks or children who have hardly any high expectations of the performance whatsoever. Here is how I have personally learned to handle it; to see myself as a conduit of the music and only that.

What I mean is to take my self totally out of the picture. To remove my ego from the equation. As a performer or conductor, what I envision is the band producing the composer's music; that music from my fellow musicians coming through me and out to the listeners. My role as a conductor or player, then, is to act as a conduit through which the music flows out to the listeners. The more I take my ego out of the picture, the more liberated I become and the less stress I have.

Give this a try and see if it helps.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  7. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    Even if this doesnt work for Bachstrad1 I reckon this approach will work for me.

8. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    The chick singer doesn't do anything for the chick trumpet player ;) But on the serious side, thank you. It's good to know that folks with that much experience still get hit with it and I'm not just having small psychotic episodes. Your advice seems right on as on the occaisions when I've just felt at one with the music, everything just flowed without any problem.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I won't attempt to count what "ambushs" a player, but it has happened to me and I believe to many of us at sometime in the years we've been playing. One incident that comes to mind is when we ourselves know we've goofed and can't cover our error. Another is when some trivial incident occurs that distracts us.

At 2011 Christmas caroling I had just started a euphonium solo of Silent Night when the town fire siren blew a half block away and I stopped playing. Several first responders scrambled from the audience to their vehicles behind me. What impulse I had to step to the mike and ask for a silent Prayer is beyond me to explain but afterward I stepped back and started Silent Night from the beginning. I won't say I played it as well as I would have liked to, as I still had the tremors but I did finish it and then asked for a sing along as I played it again and this time I was "with it".

Such happens, and I've thought much about it and concluded that one's own control of the situation is key ... but often I've now misplaced the key.

10. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm glad you did not suggest to ravage the viola player!!!!ROFL

Ray Z