Any ideas why I get ambushed?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BachStrad1, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Masterwannabe

Masterwannabe Mezzo Piano User

Sep 11, 2009
    Colorado
    I seem to suffer some of the same things from time to time and I attribute most of it to a lack of confidence. Case in point: I play 2nd trumpet in a big band and as most of you know those parts were written with most of the solos, a lot of them being improv or ad lib. I am just now in my old age trying to learn to improv and so I rather suck at it. The written solos I do pretty well at but what has happened to me is that I tend to memorize everything so I play them from memory till I get anxious and the look at the music and when I do I screw it up. I think I feel pressure in wanting to do a good job and not embarrass myself or the group. I know I will probably not ever be as good as our lead player but I want to please my fellow musicians. I do play a good bit at church and I tell people I never sound as good as when I play for that special audience (HIM). I try to look at the nervousness as a good thing because it means you care!

Ray Z :play::play::play:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you don't know where you are going how will you know when you get there.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Naahhh, That would be too easy!

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Isn't that what I said?
    I've lived with an anxiety disorder and have played trumpet since I was 10.
    I think that gives me a perspective to comment that what the OP described *sounds* like an anxiety
    disorder. I didn't diagnose a thing, I simply gave an opinion based on my experience.

Unless you are a licensed, practicing psychologist or psychiatrist you really have no basis for disrespecting my
    comment on this topic.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No this is what you said.

It sounds like an anxiety disorder, not just random nerves.
    Don't mess around denying it, asking for advice from random people or living with it.
    See a doctor that knows how to treat anxiety disorders and get healed.

You are telling the OP to see a doctor to treat an anxiety disorder. This is a specific direction to be treated for anxiety disorder. This treatment is not appropriate for the situation the OP states. Please do not confuse the issue. I believe the OP should see his physician to discuss non-pharmaceutical options. Pharaceuticals are usually use to treat Anxiety DISORDERS. Sorry, but I read this as you suggesting a diangosis and I caution against doing this.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Am I wrong or isn't a psychiatrist an MD and a psychologist is not, or am I losing my mind ... and the latter isn't funny ... at my age it is one of my fears with a family history of such.

6. Juarez-MA

Juarez-MA Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2012
    I experience the same thing. I have done plenty of reading and research on this...
    It seems everyone will tell us to focus on our music, the work we have done to make it happen, ignore anything we think the audience might be saying and ignore events outside the performance venue that we can't readily solve. Seems fine and dandy, yet I always get nervous and I always receive the compliments especially on how "calm" I was.
    The last time I performed, I started off nervous as usual. About 20 seconds in, I took a relaxing breath and allowed myself to move with the music; I can't tell you how much it helped!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A psychiatrist first receives an MD degree after 4 years of medical training, the does a 4 year residency in psychiatry. A psychologist earns a PhD or PsyD degree after completing an undergraduate psychology curriculum. These are graduate school (not medical school) degrees. It is confusing, I agree.

8. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Go to your doctor, report your problem, and ask for a low dosage prescription for propranolol. End of problem.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Maybe not the total End of Problem... but it may help:

Stage fright, physiologically the "fight or flight" reaction, is a disabling condition to the professional musician. Because it is mediated by the sympathetic nervous system, we have investigated the effects of beta blockade on musical performance with propranolol in a double blind fashion. Stage fright symptoms were evaluated in two trials, which included a total of 29 subjects, by questionnaire and by the State Trai Anxiety Inventory. Quality of musical performance was evaluated by experienced music critics. Beta blockade eliminates the physical impediments to performance caused by stage fright and even eliminates the dry mouth so frequently encountered. The quality of musical performance as judged by experienced music critics is significantly improved. This effect is achieved without tranquilization. Beta stimulating drugs increase stage fright problems, and should be used in performing musicians only after consideration of the detrimental effects which they may have on musical performance. Am J Med. 1982 Jan;72(1):88-94.

The effects of 40 mg nadolol versus 2 mg diazepam on performance anxiety of 33 young music students were determined. The study had a double-blind, crossover design and was placebo controlled. Nadolol attenuated the rise in pulse rate caused by anxiety and improved those aspects of string playing that can be adversely affected by tremor. There was also a tendency for other functions requiring coordination and judgment to improve. No effect on anxiety was noted for nadolol or for 2 mg diazepam. Diazepam, however, did cause some minor deterioration of performance that was not related to anxiety change. These findings, taken with others, suggest that beta-adrenoceptor-blocking drugs such as nadolol have an important role in the correction of anxiety-induced disturbances of performance. Indeed, their use under such circumstances probably is preferable to that of the benzodiazepines. Am Heart J. 1984 Oct;108(4 Pt 2):1150-5

The symptoms associated with performance anxiety, or the so-called stage fright syndrome, are similar to those of alpha and beta adrenergic stimulation. Suppression of symptoms and improvement in instrumentalist's performance after beta blockade suggest that this modality would be of benefit for singers as well. To evaluate the dose-effect relationship of beta blockade upon singing performance and the possible effect of these agents upon performance maturation, we studied 34 singing students during end of semester juries, using a double-blind crossover paradigm. Students performed once with either placebo, 20, 40, or 80 mg of nadolol, and again 48 hours later, with placebo. There was a significant dose-related, limiting effect upon intraperformance cardiac rate. A small, but statistically significant, dichotomous effect upon performance rating was noted: low-dose nadolol tended to enhance performance, whereas larger doses impaired performance. We conclude that the effects of low dose beta blockade upon singing are minimally helpful and high doses may detract from performance ability. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1985 Nov-Dec;94(6 Pt 1):570-4.

So your advice from your TM Evidence-based physician in the know: beta blokers can work, but may not be 100% effective (problem may not be solved). They still have risk to sedation, but are more effective and less sedating than benzo’s (Sorry Vulgano Brother). There is some convincing evidence that Yoga may be just as effective.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Clonazepam isn't as sedating as diazepam. Beta blockers can be effective, but like benzos, can require weaning.

What I find interesting is the following:

http://www.heartmath.org/templates/...erformance-anxiety-in-university-students.pdf

Heartmath Solution is a fun read for us occultists, and like most popular books, could be summarized in about five minutes, but has some insights that are worth checking out. Fascinating is the supposition that there are about 40,000 neurons around the heart (a chakra, by the way).

The Vulgano RAY OF POWER predates my reading up on this stuff.