Any ideas why I get ambushed?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BachStrad1, Mar 11, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not really. Beta receptors down regulate and when the drug is stopped, the receptor population comes back... with benzos, when stopped, receptors remain and require stimulation, and when not there, the patient can go into seizures, muscle destruction and death.

As do I. I did mention yoga; this study was also reported in the medical literature supporting its use in performance anxiety.

Vulgano Brother... we need to combine forces and do an Evidence-based medical trial on this topic... we can enroll TM members into the study... Mwah-hah-hah-hah-hah!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Put me in the test group with clonazepam!

3. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I've heard of some people claiming good results from TwinLabs Stress Relief. I can't comment on their effectiveness since I haven't personally used them.

4. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    I was never diagnosed with anxiety disorder, but when younger I was highly anxious, nearly all the time, and experienced stage jitters. Hasn't bothered me in years now. The solution was really unexciting-sounding: just generally taking better care of myself. No caffeine or alcohol or recreational drugs, very little white sugar and red meat, regular exercise, proper sleep habits. Improvement was slow -- not like some magic pill. But I'm 10,000 times better off now, and much happier too.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And this is the BEST cure possible, and the one I would take priority in directing appropriate health care for my patients. However, there a special situations that waiting months or years for this fine reflection to kick in is just not possible. Sometimes these social phobias my negatively impact job performance toward losing that job, or effecting a relationship between significant others that interferes with their working out their issues. In these situations, relaxation techniques, aggressive counseling or yes the use of medication, at least temporarily can lead to enhancing working through difficult times, that may be all the difference needed.

6. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ahh, but here's the rub. We are taught to muscle through these phobias because, let's face it, with any sort of mental illness the victim needs to be their own advocate. If we admit our weaknesses we also somehow violate the "everything's fine" rule. Who wants to admit to themselves, let alone others that they are wacko? When I actively sought counseling in my 20's I got a bunch of "you're normal, everybody goes through this kind of thing" responses. I let it be, learned relaxation techniques, exercised and all that, but garbage piles up and eventually spills over.

Could aggressive therapy have changed all that back then? I dunno, because I have neither a time-machine or a way of looking at alternate universes, but I think maybe it could have. As it is, I have a failed marriage and a stalled career to look back on. I've gotten some unique insights over the years and my wackiness serves me in good stead here at TM. After my visit to the funny farm I felt the best I had in decades, but the prescriptions ran out, and it is darned hard these days to get the low dose benzo's I was on for a month re-prescribed. A trip back to the funny farm is precluded by the fact that I am not suicidal.

I use the terms "wacko" and "funny farm" because "mentally ill" and "respite" are terms nobody wants to hear.

Sure, attitude, nutrition, exercise and such are important, but those are maintenance tools, not (in my non-medically trained opinion) the cure.

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    KT seems to have no problem whatsoever...

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Exactly!!! And my heart goes out to you and people just like you. This is just as serious a problem as treating angina before it progresses to a heart attack. But the taboo most medical experts accept prevent such a priority. I am trying to change this attitude at my medical school, and my appointment as the only medical school faculty with an appointment at our School of Professional Psychology is evidence that I am walking the walk. VB... I wish you the best and you hang in there big guy... OK:grouphug:

9. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Thanks, Doc! Now about those benzo's....

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Take a number at the counter and wait your place in line...

Next!