Any ideas why I get ambushed?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BachStrad1, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    BachStrad1,

I notice that you have had a variety of valuable responses to your problem of getting ambushed. I think this happens to a lot of players. As they gain more and more experience they find ways of dealing with it.

Can I suggest that you concentrate more on what happens when you play well and focus what that set of conditions were rather than focussing on when things go wrong.

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Excellent post.

100% agreed - why suffer a long, painful road to recovery when medicine can help?

People who advocate the "hard way" have never apparently suffered with a mental illness.

Would it be smart to recommend changing diet, exercise and sleeping more as a plan to recover
    from cancer? How did that work out for Steve Jobs? Then why do people (mostly ignorant) assume
    that "self-help" is all that is needed to recover from a mental illness?

We're not talking about being overweight, or insomnia or whatever, we are talking about mental
    conditions that can potentially ruin your life if ignored or "self-treated".

Thank God I haven't been through what VB has. When my issues, after several years of self-help
    and denial, finally worsened to the point of disrupting my work, I got proper help and medicine.
    At no point did I wish I had waited; but at many times I wish I had done it sooner.

Greg