Any interest in this idea?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Nov 25, 2013.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Hey guys, so I was thinking tonight of what I can do to contribute more to the trumpet community. I currently don't teach lessons, seeing as how I am busy enough working part-time and being a music major, but I wanted to at least put my skills to the test. Here is what I was thinking:

1. Lots of you on this site are comeback players. In fact, I'm willing to bet that at least 50% of you are.
    2. I'm a comeback player myself having taken 2 years completely off the horn.
    3. Although there are resources for comeback players, I haven't found any YouTube "tutorials." These always help me when I want to learn something.
    4. I'm not interested in making a profit but just benefiting society at large.

So, having said that, my idea is to create a series of videos on YouTube specifically aimed at helping people come back to the trumpet. My teacher, David Brown, is considered one of the world's experts on comeback playing, and we can go over the reasons for that later, but I can of course consult him for some golden advice. Having journeyed down the sometimes rocky road of "comeback playing," I can empathize with those who may feel like they just don't "have it" anymore.

I'd also post some important exercises (without infringing on any copyrights).

Also, I know that private teachers are the most important thing, and I'm not trying to replace them. More or less just want to provide any additional help needed, based on my experience.

So, is there any interest in this at all, or should I take a hike?

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Good idea! Go on with it!

3. TrumpetPlayerII

TrumpetPlayerII New Friend

Sep 18, 2013
    Denmark
    Great idea! Videos often offer more than just sheet music and text, so go for it!

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Do it! This way we get to see your face.

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
  6. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    mdhs3d.... Possibly a good idea, but IMHO a 2 year layoff would not be considered much of a layoff.... many of the comeback players here have been away from the horn for 20,30,40, and in my case 50+ years. After a 2 year layoff, you are not dealing with significant changes in respiratory function, dexterity, loss of lip tissue and flexibility, dental changes, changes in muscular response to exercise, auditory problems, related medical issues, and a poorer learning curve. Not that you have to have experienced any or all the above, but (again IMHO) you must have at least successfully helped others who have dealt with such issues. If/when you can do that, you could probably make a significant contribution to the efforts of those of us who have or are dealing with the above problems. As you suggested, I suspect that your teacher (David Brown) would be a good place to start..... JA (St Geo, UT)

7. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    How about not only comeback players but adult first time players.
    The current resources are severely limited

8. deano56

deano56 New Friend

Nov 23, 2013
    Morris, IL.
    wow, is that what happen's to us when we get old? You forgot to mention slow urinary flow, hair growing in places you don't want, bad eyes, suspenders. lol

9. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Yup! And more which includes an aversion to ANYTHING new!

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Dang new-fangled computers - what a waste of time! I'm gonna go practice on my 1929 Conn 22B...they don't make 'em like that any more...:D