any names to recommend?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Young Trumpeter, Sep 27, 2006.

1. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Being a Maurice Andre fan, I've read that article and some other unofficial reviews on OJ's website. But that didn't change my opinions about his playing for some reason - I still wish to hear him live.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Pierre Dutot

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maurice André is truly one of the top 10 of the 20th century(IMHO next to Maynard, Wynton, Ed Tarr, Schlossberg, Dokshizer and many others). Hearing him live anymore is not easy. I googled and couldn't even find any concert schedule.
    To be honest, I heard him very often in the 80's and 90's (he came to Germany quite a lot) and wouldn't take the chance on having that incredible memory clouded by an 80% performance today. He will always be one of the greatest influencers for any trumpet player wanting to be a soloist! He definitely was one of my idols in the 70's. His list of successful students is also very long. His recordings (I have many) and his students will support the legend for years to come!
    The critique of the concert only described the moment - what inspiration did his sheer presence offer to the people in the band? What other memories do they have of that occasion? People that write reviews often have an agenda that is not totally transparent. A bad review, like a good one is not always the whole truth.

4. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Maurice André has made a legend for himself in the trumpet world and no non trumpet journalist can take that away from him. He is a name to consider Young Trumpeter and it would be best to listen to those pieces that made him famous.

EVERYBODY is going to retire from this field and everybody is going to make mistakes during a performance. I am still waiting for that time when it will happen to me. :lol:

Liad Bar-EL

5. green_eagle18

green_eagle18 Pianissimo User

Jun 25, 2006
    Denton, TX.
    RAFAEL MENDEZ!!!!
    Arturo Sandoval
    Thomas Stevens
    David Baldwin
    Maynard Ferguson
    Chris botti
    Allen Vizzuti
    John Hagstrom
    John Holt
    Bobby Shew
    David Hickman
    Wynton Marsalis
    Miles Davis
    Maruice Andre
    Al Hirt
    so many many many great players....

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Hmm, who would I prefer to hear - Maurice Andre on a bad day or a critic on a good one?

Everyone is allowed a bad day - compared to many of the performers that 4barsrest give great praise to, I would take Maurice Andre playing the wrong piece.

7. ilikethetrumpet

ilikethetrumpet Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2006
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I wasn't aware of that website until that link, and I navigated around and browsed elsewhere, a paragraph here and there... what a mean-spirited website! I mean, honest criticism certainly serves a purpose in music, but Andre giving a refund? That just rubs me the wrong way! The whole idea of rankings too... that's just mean.

8. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    Listening to the recordings are good. Hearing them live is the bomb.

I have not heard most of the players that have been listed live in concert. I do know the greats that I have heard live, the recordings generally do not do their sound justice.

On the Monette website there are some clips of Manny Laureano playing. He of course sounds spectacular, but those clips don't compare to having him shake your inner self with the gorgeous sound of his.

I don't know where you live, but if you have the chance, go listen to as much live music (performed by competent musicians) as you can.

9. aneel

aneel Pianissimo User

Sep 28, 2006
    vienna
    I suppose the problem that comes with fame and reputation is that there are always those who
    seem to be waiting for mistakes. A classical soloist
    or principal in a famous Orchestra is under considerable
    pressure to deliver. Note getting in general seems to
    be more praised these days than musicality.
    What`s sad is that these same critics are unable to enjoy for instance a Miles solo.