Any New Trumpet Manufacturer Worthy?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tgl, Aug 4, 2010.

1. tgl

tgl New Friend

Aug 4, 2010
    Dallas
    Hello Everyone!

Are there any forum member(s) here old enough to remember when Toyota's where considered cheaply made? It took them a while but they eventually rose to the top as far as perceived quality is concerned.

Well what about trumpet manufacturers? Are there any relatively new "kids" on the block that use to have bad reps but have improved enough to recommend buying?

I'm seeing a lot of online negativity toward horns made in China.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jupiter, Wiseman, Eastman, Lidl, Arnolds&Sons.

As a trumpet is MUCH more intimate than a car, you still have to play before you pay. A Toyota is still not a BMW, Mercedes or Porsche and the horns that I listed are still not Bachs, Selmers, Kanstuls or Getzens.

3. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    Yamaha used to have a bad rep, but now it's "standard."

Out of the companies that Rowuk listed, I'd say that Eastman and Jupiter really stand out.

4. Catchops

Catchops New Friend

Jan 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Tell me more about the Yamaha, Kanstul, and even Benge (who a friend of mine simply LOVES). I'm looking to purchase very soon. And yes...I will definitely play before I pay, but I love to hear the opinions of others.

I currently have a Bach Strad (1985 model) 72 Lightweight Bell with ML bore. It has a nice sound and plays well, but after playing some horns with ML+ or even large bore...I love how much more easy they play and can produce even bigger sound. Likewise....the valves on my current horn are not what they used to be. Also, after having the lead pipe replaced a few years ago it doesn't fit right and hence my tuning slide is always moving (sigh)...hence my desire to get a new trumpet.

I would love to hear suggestions/thoughts from others along the lines as well with tgl's question.

Thanks!

5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    You do NOT want to buy a new factory Benge (or anything from the Conn-Selmer complex). Conn-Selmer has changed all of the things that made Benges such great horns: they took away the long throw valves, screwed with the lead pipe/receiver. These things play like cheap student horns and I LOVE Benge horns....have played them for over 30 years.

My advice is if you want something like a Benge either a) find a good used/vintage horn and have it refurbished if necessary or b) check out the Kanstul Benge clones.

bigtiny

6. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
  7. tgl

tgl New Friend

Aug 4, 2010
    Dallas
    Thanks Everyone!

Lots of great feedback!

8. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    is it true that Roy Benson is made in tha same factory as Jupiter. Like its the same thing but the different brand?

I have Roy Benson and I am satisfied with it, both TPT and Flugel, they were reasonably priced but play nice and have no issues.

9. lakerjazz

Oct 10, 2006
    Roy Benson is a Chinese company. It has mixed reviews, but the fact that some music stores in the U.S. and Europe are starting to sell them means that the quality is at least decent enough for the shops to be able to work on and repair. If you like it, congrats- you've found a pretty good horn.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Roy Benson is China and Jupiter is Taiwan. They are not made in the same factory and the build quality is not the same. The Jupiter is definitely better built. The playing part can only be determined by the individual player.

My son has had a Jupiter Saxophone for 12 years and plays it a lot. It still is going strong and sounds good, never needed an overhaul.