Any New Trumpet Manufacturer Worthy?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tgl, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Nor are they designed to be.

2. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    how much would be reasonable for intermediate Jupiter

And can someone suggest intermediate model of Jupiter

thanks

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I think the A. Eastman horns are nice and (SHOCK) not only have I tried one, I own one (see below). I couldn't really tell you how it compares to most other horns (I've been playing for 5 months), but my private teacher has played for years, is a college music professor and plays mostly classical (a Mt. Vernon Bach for his Bb horn) and he liked it a lot when he tried it out. He called it a "very pretty horn." I didn't think the sound was as rich or complex as his Mt. Vernon, but I imagine his Bach didn't cost $440 brand new with a great case.

Turtle

btw, if the OP wants an A. Eastman catalog (just brass), let me know and I'll send it to you.

4. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    There is a new company, which my trumpet teacher, a Yamaha advocate, just purchased. The company is S.C. Shire, which normally produces trombones, but has now ventured into the trumpet market. Their website is S.E. Shires - Quality without compromise.. It's a beuatiful horn. Made in Hopedale, Massachusetts and sold by our good buddy Trent Austin in Malden, MA. Great horn. Light; great tone, minimum bracing and round tune slide.

5. Kiddo

Kiddo New Friend

Jan 30, 2010
    Only yamaha horn I've played on is the Xeno, I'm rly an ardent Bach.

And boy, it's dope; considering it's a common student standard. You can check around the forums, some rave reviews of it.

Vizzutti does Yamaha, that should tell u something.

6. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    While it's an individual thing, I think most horns are about the same. I play a Zeus, my teacher plays and endorses Yamaha. He plays a Xeno, however, I can't hear any real difference while we play duets. Both horns blend beautifully.

As I have always suspected, it is the player who makes the sound. Horn, mouthpiece etc. all have a place in the sound. But, each one of us makes the decision of which horn plays the way they want.

That said, there are a lot of used horns on the market. Obviously their owners were not impressed with their qualities.

7. Kiddo

Kiddo New Friend

Jan 30, 2010
    Actually, it's half the truth.

You alrdy found half the answer urself. In the tonal aspect,they might be the same; ofc it's still up to debate, considering the kind of metal that the horn is made of, and ofc its structure that made some horns stand out with distinct sounds, some harsher, some warmer etc. That's why very often you get the Monette vs the Others debate.

But a horn goes beyond that, there's still slotting, efficiency, resistance, sound projection etc.