Any nice, expressive etudes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cantplaytrumpet, Oct 9, 2012.

1. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Hey guys, just asking y'all if you know of any good etudes or other pieces to play?
    I have a classical music class at school where every other week I need to play a different piece or two to the class and I'm running out of exciting ones to play. :-(
    My standard is not too high as I've only really been playing around 6 months, but I feel as though I'm progressing quickly.
    If you know any, preferably with piano accompaniment, it'd be good to know.
    My range is about a high Eb, I have squealed a high G but that'd be pushing it a bit. :lol:
    Thanks for your time. :-)

2. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Would that be the Eb in the top space of the treble clef staff, or the one above high C? Would that be the G on top of the staff or the G above high C? (High C is the C one octave above middle C; the former is two lines above the staff; the latter is the third space in the staff.) Just askin'. Members will condition their advice on their understanding of your understanding of these terms.

3. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Let me back up a little here. You have only been playing trumpet for 6 months?:-) That would throw out my previous post as an option then. I'm sure some of the fine fellows in here will point you in the right direction. I would suggest you get an Arban's book and practice the songs in the back. Also, read all the fine notes in the book so that you can get a good historic view of how the cornet/trumpet has developed over time. Good luck.

4. cantplaytrumpet

Apr 2, 2012
    It's the Eb above the High C, but that is kinda pushing my range, (it's a bit of a squeak).
    I'd prefer to play below High C though because above it kinda a chop buster for me. :-(
    ps: I thought middle C was the one first below the staff. It's called middle C because it's the one in the 'middle' of the treble and bass clefs.
    Then you'd have 3rd space C an octave higher, and the C two octaves above middle C is High C?
    I may be wrong on this, so don't quote me, I just want to avoid confusion.

5. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    In a treble clef instrument such as Bb trumpet. Middle C is the one in the staff. Low C is below the staff, and high C two lines above the staff or 3rd octave in the treble clef.

6. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    If it is a squeak, you don't own the note. I would choose etudes from the Arbans--good suggestions there--that keep you within your easily usable range. Have fun.

7. cantplaytrumpet

Apr 2, 2012
    Ah okay, no wonder I was confused. In my class we learnt it the way I said, so thank you for correcting me. :)
    Anyways, back from the sidetrack, on to any pieces? :lol:
    I have a week and a bit to learn it as well, if that helps in choosing pieces?

8. bach37

bach37 Pianissimo User

Dec 1, 2011
  9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    6 months ?

Play through the Guy Lacour "cent etudes"... Short, but making them lyrical and musical is good for you.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012