Any one compare Kanstul to Calicchio???

Discussion in 'Horns' started by drac, Sep 23, 2004.

1. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    I am looking for a classical horn and was wondering if anyone has compared the Kanstul 1501 and 1502 with their Calicchio counterparts. Are they totally different horns?? Are they almost identical?? Also I was interested to know if anyone has tried the R37 or R32 by Calicchio. Ultimately I want something that is free blowing (not too open though) and has a big warm and rounded sound that is easy to play. I fight my bach off all the time and I need an easier playing horn. Hopefully someone out there can steer me in the right direction!! Thanks for your time....

Jon

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I haven't tried most of the horns you mentioned. I have tried a Calicchio R37, and the blow is maybe slightly more open than a Strad in my opinion, but I don't know if I'd call it dark or not (been a while, though). I also tried the Kanstul 1500. I love that horn, and Lord willing I ever graduate and pay off student loans, will probably buy one (so it's a ways off yet).

As far as valves go, both have excellent valves. Kanstul's are very well known. Yes, they do have a break in period, but when you consider the fact that for 2 months of just having to break them in, you get a lifetime of performance, I think you can overlook that somewhat. Calicchio's are just as good. I can't say for sure on the break in period, you'd need to contact Larry Gianni on that one. But make no mistake, they are super fast and super smooth. Both Kanstul and Calicchio make wonderful horns, and very few can say that they make as good of quality, IMO.

I tried the Ultra Red at ITG. Loved the horn. A beautiful warm sound that caresses you. The only problems I had were that it took a little bit more to respond than the 1500, and the 1500 also opened up a bit more when you hit the gas and upped the air flow. The 1500, from what it sounds like you're wanting, is a good candidate. Really good warm sound, quick response, a free blowing. It has a .459 bore, so while it's open, it's not like trying to buzz on a Hoover vacuum.

Two things I'd recommend. First, call Jack Kanstul. Jack knows Kanstul (that's kinda obvious), and can direct you to the best horn for you from the Kanstul line. I'd also call/visit the Calicchio factory. I had a chance to go to the factory in Tulsa, but never was able to take it up. They are a great bunch and also could help you find, maybe not just the right Calicchio for you, but maybe just the right horn. At ITG, the rep. from Calicciho almost did as much to sell me on the Kanstul as the Kanstul rep. They just want you to get the right horn. Neither of those guys will bite your head off, and I'm pretty sure you can get a trial period from both companies.

Wow, my 2 cents turned into more like 2 dollars!

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Call Blackburn Trumpets up tomorrow, and ask to try two of their leadpipes, the 19 and the 20 (Actually, the 19 has numbers with it, but I never memorized it). You'll be surprised at how much a different leadpipe will change your sound. The 19 will really open up your sound and actually will help range (with my experiences with two 19s), and the 20 focuses on darkening, but also opens blow considerably. They offer a two week trial period, with you only paying for shipping, if you don't like. IMHO, the worst part of the stradivarius is the leadpipe.

The tuning slide is also a deceptive part of the horn. Anyone try a strad with a rounded tune slide? The difference in of sound is surprising. Its like a different horn.

Also, I have heard the amado water keys give better intonation. Of course, I have also heard amados give a spitty sound. A pretty cool option that I've seen is to put an amado on the third valve slide, and keep regular on the main tune slide. Thats more of a look thing than anything. I've never noticed a real difference by water keys...

You could also look into modifying your horns. For the price of a new horn, you could have Jason Harrelson basically remold your horn into what you want. Hell, you could do that AND replace the leadpipe and tuning slide for less than most new horns.

I'm not going to lie, my next big purchase in the trumpet department will be modifying my ambassador (Its as good as my Kanstul, for God's sake!!). To tell you the truth, four months ago, if I knew what I know now about the horn market, and all the different facets of it, I might have re-thought my path of action (although if I would have been as happy with the results as I am now, I can't say).

While I'm sorta on the subject, why not look for a vintage horn? Wichitaband.com has some pretty interesting old trumpets for sale, and ebay has a good one every now and then. Also, check out the antique shops. I would kill a man with my bare hands for a NY bach, and one could be sitting next to an old cabinet in an antique store down the road from you with a fifty dollar price tag!

My few dollars as well, heh. Be sure you look at the market as a whole. Theres SOOO much you can get with a few thousand dollars....

Van

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I could be wrong (it wouldn't be the first time), but doesn't Kanstul MAKE Callichio components?

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    have you thought of getting a valve alignment done on the Bach? it might fix your problem and you would only be out a 150 bucks or so.

6. Balt58

Balt58 New Friend

Feb 18, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Every part on a Calicchio is made at the Tulsa shop.

7. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    Thanks for all your input but it looks as though no one has compared the two!! I may just have to compare them for myself. I wish there were more dealers willing to carry these horns. Every shop on the planet has an overstock of Bach, Yamamha, King, Blessing (fill in the blank with some nasty student horn brand). Nobody carries any of the horns we all want to play!! If I can get some horns to compare I will let you all know my findings.......

Jon

8. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    How many strads have you played in your lifetime, Drac? You can be surprised by the difference between two different strads. I personally don't think I ever ever played two TRUMPETS that were identical (although the B&S Challengers and Yamaha Xenos really remind me of a Strad...).

Have you chemically bathed your horn recently? If you havent in several years, you'd be surprised at the difference that can make.

I also forgot, have you ever tried different mouthpieces with different horns? Maybe its just me, but sometimes it seems like a certain trumpet sounds better with a certain mouthpiece...

ANYWAY...

I still want you to consider the many, MANY MAAANNNYY applications of just one thousand dollars. A Blackburn Leadpipe is about 75. A Tuning slide, about 350. Amados, something around 50 (CHECK THIS PRICE!!). Curry offers their heavy caps for 40, and their really heavy caps for 52. They also have the XXCAPS, which look really cool (A monette-like look), and also give the heavy-cap sound for 120 (Raw brass), 145 (silver), or 175 (bright gold). Any soldering work is done for less than 100 (Normally).

With TWO GRAND, you can do a HELL of a lot more!

Just pounding my idea further into your head. Of course, you could be so bored with your strad nothing I say really matters. Thats perfectly valid! The strads are one of the most boring horns ever :D !

9. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I dunno if there are that many people around here who have played both horns! I could go ahead and tell you: My Kanstul 1503 fits me very well, and I would suggest you trying one!

Check around for dealers of those two brands in your region. Some dealers offer trial periods. Still costs shipping money, but in your case, it would be a good way to go.

10. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    This should have been done regardless of our imput, but good luck with your search.