Any one ever get the feeling of throwing your horn at the wall?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guadarrama, Jul 11, 2012.

1. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    I agree its all about balance. Thats why i still havent actually thrown it at the wall. I just put it down and come back to it later.

2. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    Frankmike practicing two hours a day is not alot. I used to hit up to 4 sometimes five day. Im no expert but if i just buzzed my lips and read sheet music all day and hear my crappy voice trying to sing all day then just play my trumpet for 20 minuets sounds like a bad idea. I used to practice that back in middle school when i barley picked up the instrument. Maybe try mixing it up. Instead playing for 2 hours straight on Arban cut it down to 30 min. then do some improv or try

3. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    some thing els* :)

4. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Twenty minutes? If that was all I did I could impress the hell out of somebody for about five minutes and then I would be too worn out to play without a break. I usually play 4 hour gigs, and I need more than 20 minutes a day in order to maintain stamina for that. if you can do that with only 20 minutes of face time, congratulations. I need more time than that in order to maintain facility, much less strength.

coolerdave likes this.
  5. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    Right?!

6. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    Throw my horn against the wall?? are you MAD?? As others here have suggested, when you get frustrated, just put the horn down and back away slowly. Any flaws in your technique are not the trumpet's fault. Just keep practicing, and if you're doing it right, things will gradually resolve themselves.

7. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Practice time, I get a solid 1 - 1 1/2 hours a day. Sometimes up to 2. 20 mins is just way to short for me.

8. Trumpetmasta

Trumpetmasta Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2012
    Narnia
    yup

9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I used to get that feeling a lot more than I do now. Lately I am practicing while thinking of what I want to sound like. My mindset is more of an observer. When I play and fall short of the sound or desired result in my head I try to do a better job of imagining what I am trying to play and give it another shot. Failures in the practice room are not a testament to your character. How you deal with those failures will be what defines you as a player and person. The fact that you care enough about your playing to practice shows that you are dedicated and will achieve if you continue with a positive attitude. Keep working at it. What is hard today will surely be easier tomorrow. That is what keeps me working towards improvement. Overcoming a new challenge is one of the sweetest things that a person can experience. Look back in time. Are you able to do things on your instrument today that would have been impossible 1 year earlier? Take those victories and use them to keep yourself motivated to push through the hard times. Besides, have you priced new instruments these days? It is not economical to throw your horn up against the wall.

10. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    Haha, well I think I'm one of the many who have felt like this many times. Like some have said, if you don't get frustrated then you don't care. There have been times (embarrassingly) that I have cried in my lesson or in a practice room because I want to be able to play so well so badly. But then, I get a pep talk, or just listen to an inspirational song, or heck even watch Rocky. And then I feel better, and I know if I keep after it I'll figure this thing out eventually.

This thread made me think of Man with a Horn where he breaks down. Great scene.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV_KRd2z948

coolerdave likes this.