Any one ever get the feeling of throwing your horn at the wall?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guadarrama, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Playing the trumpet is like fishing...."when the fish are biting, you can't quit and when they aren't biting, you can't quit".

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    ouch... back when chairs were made of solid metal .... lost the girl and the trumpet .. IVAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh my... Must be time to buy that Kanstul 1525! Like Tiggers... they bounce!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Re: Seriously?

I have actually never thought about doing this. The fondness I have of my trumpet (given to me by loving parents) and my teachers have always been so nurturing, that this has never crossed my mind.

bumblebee likes this.
  5. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    Heck, playing the trumpet IS my release. If it's ever not fun I'll step away and cool off... but so far it's always been fun. I don't pressure myself, so I practice to enjoy. Strength, stamina and technique will come over time. Maybe I'd feel differently if the trumpet was how I made my living, but it's not. Come to think of it, I don't actually get frustrated enough to throw something even on my worst day of work. It's all about attitude.

6. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    No, but I hear that "throwing Bundys" have pretty good trajectory though........:lol:

7. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    well...I am the one that teach you -not vice versa

if you cant sing, as you state yourself -than you cant play trumpet either. Put the trumpet in the case, sell it on e-bay and buy a guiter

there you go

overpractice will kill your musicallity. how many times have I seen poor players turn trumpet playing in something like sport competition. They practice and practice, but only sound comes out of the bell instead of music (you do understand there is a huge difference between the two -if not -buy a rackett) you do not need to practice 2, 3 hours. You need to develop yourself into a proper trumpet player. And that requires developing musicallity, breatning, tongue -and all that can be done without trumpet anywhere near.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  8. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    If I only had a Kanstul, I wouldn't need to.

I'd never practice on it anyway. I prefer decent instruments.

9. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    well, I do indeed only need 20 minutes of face time because I focus more on my breathing muscles -not only diafragma but the whole body actually does the breathing. And that I practice all day long. I wrote the whole day, even now I am breathing in 8-8-8-8. My body is like a compressor of some sort.

So I do not need super strong embouchure. Also strong embouchure actually hurts articulation, dynamics and tone because it is too stiff, you can have great range -but it is of no use if you cannot play ppp. Can you play ppp?

can any of you that actually own high G play ppp? well I can, I can play high G at ppp as wel as FF

I used to struggle a lot on trumpet (in times when I practiced 2 hours a day every day -but neglected other aspects). But since I invented this routine I became someone else -in trumpet sense

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  10. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    What drivel. Singing ability has no bearing on playing ability.