Any one ever get the feeling of throwing your horn at the wall?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guadarrama, Jul 11, 2012.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    yes it has, you should be able to hear the note you want to play in your head. those who cant hear cant sing either. Playing trumpet is in more than many ways actually singing. it is singing acutaly. And beleive me every proper trumpet player can sing. Inability to sing is the first sign that you may just picked the wrong instrument -and there it goes, a lifelong frustration and throwing trumpets in the walls

we can even make a poll to see how may of those who can sing threw a trumpet into the wall

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You KNOW that wasn't an Ambassador!! Table is still intact and the horn flew to pieces! Ambassador might be dented! Actually, at the cut to the floor, the busted horn has been placed in places where it didn't initially land (yeah, it's raining and I got nothing else to do :roll:). Looks like a Buescher slide on the floor with the 3 braces and the horn he "played" only had a single brace.

3. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Trumpet playing is not singing. You will not hear me sing a note before I play it. Yeah, I hear it in my head but that has nothing to do with singing.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    What a load of rubbish. I can hear the note and then play it. That does NOT mean I can sing it, but I CAN play it. And I bet you can't sing every note you can play.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, the last time I watched "Young Man With a Horn" I noticed that the trumpet he destroys isn't the same one he's "playing" in the scene. And,...it's torn up a lot more when they show it on the floor.

I've never been tempted to throw my horn at the wall. If I'm having a bad day or am frustrated with domething difficult, I put the horn away for a while and go back to it later.

6. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    Frankmike the only thing your teaching me is how not to practice. And i do thank you for that. You cant just tell someone if they cant sing they cant play the trumpet that is absurd. Singing and playing the trumpet are two different things. Do you actually hear the crap that comes out of your mouth? And just because i practice alot doesnt mean im turning it into a competition. Music is not a competition and i always hate when people make it into one. I dont know about you but i have been greatful to be taught by many great musicians and they all have told me to practice practice practice! not just practice for 20 minuets and do breathing technique all day. Tell that to Cindy Shay a grammy award winning trumpet player, or how about to luis eric an ex trumpet player for the quen of salsa Celia Cruz he told me to practice my but off!

7. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Maybe Frankmike is right in a certain way but he has to reverse his statement.
    Trumpet is a very demanding instrument, I think as difficult as oboe or french horn in terms of toneproducing and breathing. So a singer is not able to sing if he or she is not able to play trumpet (or oboe aso). So only singers are allowed to the stage if they can show prove of the ability to play one of these instruments.
    Also the statement of Frankmike has some diagnostical worth, is a certain person able to play a certain instrument?
    My daughter wanted to play double bass but I forbid her, she was not able to sing the low E.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I have never been tempted to throw my instruments, I value them too much!

Regards, Stuart.

9. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
  10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's fixable (even though it's a cornet!). At least the damage was real. :shock: