Any one ever get the feeling of throwing your horn at the wall?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guadarrama, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK

And that, children, is what can happen if you become obsessed with Kanstul Flugels .

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    OUCH!!:-o

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:stars:

Frankmike,

You have no idea what you're talking about, and are probably doing a disservice to younger readers who might actually take you seriously. What does singing have to do with trumpeting??? It's not only stupid to say that "if you can't sing, you can't play trumpet either" but it flies in the face of the laws of physics.

NO, you don't have to sing or be able to sing to play the trumpet. REALITY. See FM's post for an alternative view to reality.

And overpracticing will kill your musicality??? Are you for real? As legend has it, John Coltrane practiced roughly 8 hours a day, then went off to gigs at night, and Oscar Peterson practiced 10-12 hour days for years ..... THEIR musicality is legendary.

How much do you practice and where on earth did you get this idea that a trumpeter needed to be able to sing??? Get a grip .... You don't even need to be able to HEAR to compose symphonies (see Beethoven).

Turtle

4. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    Ouch watching that trumpet get smashed kind of hurt. And is that Armstrong or does it just look like him? haha

5. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    As far as the movie, "Young Man With A Horn" is concerned, here's my 2 cents--nothing against Kirk Douglas, but in my opinion, it's not a great flick. The plot is ridiculous. Great trumpet-playing by Harry James, and I guess as trumpet-miming goes, Kirk did OK (most audience members who don't play trumpet won't know he's faking), but not a great plot. It's supposed to be VERY, VERY loosely based on the life of cornetist Bix Beiderbecke, but compared to what I've read about Bix, any resemblance between the plot of this movie and Mr. Beiderbecke's life is beyond coincidental.

6. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY

Ouch!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Well obviously you haven't found one yet since you throw yours against the wall. And I can understand that you only want a decent instrument at your current level of accomplishment, but when you advance, let me know and I will direct you as to how you can get an excellent instrument like a Kanstul.

8. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    If any horn should be thrown against a wall (hold on, some/most of you will not like this) would be a Recording.

Those horns are so overrated it is not even funny. Dont get me wrong, I have owned one. I bought off ebay about 3 - 4 years back because I heard it was the holy grail of trumpets. Well, needless to say I do not own it anymore. I sold it in a month and took a $75 hit just to get rid of it. It was a real bummer. But, I ended up getting of my favorite horns with that money, a Stomvi Mambo. It was a great horn, shiny silver plate, good stomvi quality. But.....I ended up selling that to help with a down payment on a car. But, that was a horn that should not be thrown at a wall.

Oh, go ahead and throw half of all Bach trumpets at a wall too, no, I take it back......throw 99% at a wall.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    You been smokin out there in D.C. land, have ya mon? Y yu talkin trash?

Toootsle

10. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Ah, me not. That stomvi really is a good horn!