Any one ever get the feeling of throwing your horn at the wall?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guadarrama, Jul 11, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

:play: :play: :play: THEY SINK.:play: :play: :play:

Good that you liked the color, that's what really determines the quality of a trumpet.

Turtle

2. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA

True story, I have seen some red Committees, and some green pocket trumpets that come with gloves!

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    "Any one ever get the feeling of throwing your horn at the wall?"

I experienced the feeling on occasions. As I started improving, it became more and more obvious that, when things weren't going right, the problem was with me, not the piece of metal. Recently, I have become better able to deal with bad days, but perhaps that has to do with the fact that bad days now are better than good days were 2 years ago. It's all about perspective...

4. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Frustration just means that you are not capable of setting realistic goals and then sticking to them.

Learning trumpet is a process. There are tried and true methods and a lot of beginners that think that they know even better ways.

The beginning of success is a daily routine consisting of long tones, easy slurs and simple tunes like found in a hymnbook. Play this EVERY day for the rest of your life and quite a bit of the frustration will dissipate. Divide your practice into 3 sessions: daily routine, repertory, technical studies - always in that order. MUSIC always gets priority - not technical stuff.

Finally, stop blaming the trumpet for YOUR weakness. Throw yourself against the wall. The trumpet is innocent.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Couldn't agree more... AND since I am more of a "right brained" kinda guy, let me illustrate Rowuk's concept:

:bash:

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes, unfortunately I heard that about you GM -- your left brain is not right much, and your right brain has not much left!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL
    now on the serious side --- throwing a horn is not a good thing -- it could cause damage to the horn!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    EXACTLY!!! And skin is so biodegradable.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    but it leaves oily residue on the horn!!!!! and it flakes off and gives those little bacteria and fungi a place to live. Yes, biodegradable.

10. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    "Any one ever get the feeling of throwing your horn at the wall?"

Not today.