Any one ever get the feeling of throwing your horn at the wall?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guadarrama, Jul 11, 2012.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    One day ..... one wall ... at a time. :-)

Turtle

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Now there's an off-the-wall comment!

And I LIKE IT!

3. earnhart88

earnhart88 New Friend

Dec 14, 2007
    Near Niagara Falls NY
    To my shame I have thrown my horn against the wall,that wasn't real smart ,cost me money to get it fixed.Better to put the horn down and relax a bit.

4. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    Which would leave me at a throwing rate of 4 days out of seven
    in my practice room in the basement.:roll:
    Provided you do not live in some cylindrical ivory tower,
    tat might be your ratio too.
    But then, I still can resist!:D

5. NFS_87

NFS_87 Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    As I recall from reading a book about him Maynard once threw his horn against a wall. He was young and playing the Haydn Concerto, nailed the E and chucked his horn, breaking it into several pieces. His teacher turned to his father (both were present) and said that he'll be one heck of a trumpet player. Or something along those lines, it's been a few years since I read the book. But he was probably feeling a different emotion at the time!

6. guadarrama

guadarrama New Friend

Jul 25, 2011
    CA
    May i add that i have never actually thrown my horn against the wall? Maybe i should rephrase my question to: Anyone ever get frustrating while practicing? is that better for some of you taking this so seriously? Getting frustrated is normal. I mean only if your human of course.

7. NFS_87

NFS_87 Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've felt frustrated while practicing, I'm sure everyone has gotten frustrated while practicing. For myself anyways that is one of the draws to playing, getting the opportunity to play something technical enough that I get a little frustrated and try even harder to play it. That makes accomplishing the section I am attempting all the more sweet once I get it down.

If there is someone who hasn't gotten frustrated while practicing I don't think they are really getting everything they can from playing, as they haven't pushed themselves.