Any other vets play to forget?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GarryOwenBrain, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Gary ---

Thank you for your service .

I'm glad that you have found some thing to help with your experiences , I never served but have great appreciation for those that have .

I have been struggling for a long time to find some players who want to play again ,we used to have a small community band but as time went by some passed and others drifted away ,i really want a working band here and you have given me an idea i think?

Good luck with your playing :play:

Dean_0

2. Officer235

Officer235 New Friend

Apr 25, 2010
    Latrobe, PA
    Hello, and thank you for your service. I'm a USAF vet, Cold War (Viet Nam era), also a career paramedic (retired!). When I left the service they didn't know it was PTSD. But yes I can sympathize with you. I find that when I concentrate on my playing I can leave the whole world outside my practice room. I don't think about anything, I don't feel anything just the music. I know that the world will return when I finish, but at least for a few minutes I don't have to think about anything else. For three years my wife was so sick it was a near death thing. But know that she is over that and getting better I have time to practice. I a newbie to the trumpet and working on playing for two reasons (right now), my own enjoyment and I want to be able to sound TAPS at veteran's funerals as a bugler for the BAA (Bugles Across America). I invite anyone to check out the BAA and see what they do. Thanks for listening!

3. GarryOwenBrain

GarryOwenBrain New Friend

Oct 28, 2012
    Montgomery, AL
    All, it's great to know that my experience resonates with so many others. When I read all your replies I'm reminded of all the great trumpet players from hardscrabble lives and backgrounds and I'm reminded of our unique American musical heritage in jazz. Maybe that's why my favorite thing to do (after I work through my Arban's of course!) is to just sit back and play whatever comes to mind...sometimes it sounds good, but usually it doesn't. That's OK though, when I play for others I try to play what's written, but when I play for my self and my soul I just play what feels right. Maybe that's why I'm not to worried about buying "legit" horns and mouthpieces? I picked up the cornet because I felt, with a deep mouthpiece (I highly recommend Curry's BBC, by the way), it was my voice and not someone else's...same is true for the Olds Recording that I play with the deep flugel cup. Recently, however, as my outlook has changed (and my embouchure has gotten a lot stronger) I picked up the medium bore Ingram with a really shallow mouthpiece. As my worldview brightens so does my "voice?" Yes, I suppose this has been an expensive adventure, but hey, it's cheaper and more effective than therapy!

Flugelgirl, someday, maybe a similar program for trumpets can get underway!

Oh, and to all who have offered their thanks, thank you. It was a great honor to serve and I would do it all again tomorrow!

4. GarryOwenBrain

GarryOwenBrain New Friend

Oct 28, 2012
    Montgomery, AL
    Officer,

That is great. BAA is an outstanding, and needed program. I plan on volunteering with them one day, but I can barely make it through taps when I'm not playing it, let alone when I'm the one sounding it! It is a real shame that so many who served either don't have that ultimate honor bestowed upon them, or have it done electronically. It's just not right. Thank you in advance!

5. Reedman1

Reedman1 Piano User

Sep 5, 2013
    NY, USA
    Garry, maybe you're playing to forget and maybe you're playing to explore, grow, and be free. A great thing to do, and an inspiration to all of us. Thanks for your service and for your post.

6. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Great thread -- thanks for your service to our country and for your willingness to share your experiences -- I hope you continue your musical endeavors and that they continue to bring you pleasure and tranquility. JA

7. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Garry, first of all you are one of our true heroes! Thank you for your service :) One of the great things about music is that it's a true healing force-keep playing and enjoy the process….

8. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    As both a retired Army Officer and a retired police officer, I have many times I would like to forget. However, I found that the benefits of playing trumpet and being a "comeback" player, have developed my new philosophy. That, I try to be just a little bit better today than I was yesterday, and work to be better still tomorrow than I was today.

I found that the strengths that I developed in the Army got me through being a police officer, and aided in my decision making skills. I now do not want to forget my past, but embrace it differently.

Hang in there.

Gary

9. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Playing music, especially in a group context, forces one to stay present right here, right now. When you are present then you are not obsessing about past traumas and ordeals or worrying about the future. If you can accomplish this, then maybe you can remain present in other day to day situations like working, socializing and so forth. The important thing is the engagement, not the particular activity. I belong to a kayak /fishing club and we have partnered with a wounded warrior group to introduced the guys to the peace and joy of our sport. Mindfullness meditation can be very helpful by learning to name and let go of obsessions and worries. Thoughts come and go, they are real, but not always true.
    6th US Army Band 1970-72

10. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    I think making music enriches all musicians' lives in two ways. It compels us to focus our energies and work towards becoming better as individuals. And, in making music in groups, we experience a sense of connection with others -- a shared purpose.