any solos or ideas?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    So I quit drum corps for this year and am not going to college this coming year, I just graduated high school. I still want to play for a while. Does anyone have any freshman college level solos or exercises I could keep myself motivated and busy with? I don't want to quit and need stuff to keep me busy.

2. ca5tr0

ca5tr0 New Friend

Feb 28, 2010
    Florida
    Carnival of Venice. That should keep you busy.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Even if you aren't in college, you can still sign up and play in the college band or orchestra. Or, find a community band or local ensemble to play with. That's a lot more fun than playing alone in your basement.

4. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    funny story, i played carnival of venice for solo and ensemble this year. it was a mess, but i think i'll stay away from that song for a while before i vomit.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    caprice No. 24 by Pagannini
    You can get it on free scores .com

6. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    Ropartz Andante et Allegro
    Goedicke Concert Etude
    Arban Fantasie Brillante
    Neruda Concerto in Eb
    Hummel Concerto in Eb

These, among some others that I can't remember offhand, were played by some of our freshmen in their juries this past year.

Stuart

7. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I hate Carnival of Venice ROFL The Hummel or the Haydn, those are a few of the accepted solos on our College's tryout list. I'll be doing both for a tryout :evil: The Hummel is a hoot to play, it takes tedious work to get the 3rd mvt down, but it is always fun, never gets old. The Haydn..... I'll get back with you after I get it down:-?

8. trumpetjump

trumpetjump New Friend

Mar 5, 2010
    PA
    How can anyone, especially a trumpeter, hate Carnival of Venice?

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    MT,
    hate is best reserved for animate objects that try on purpose to do you harm. Hating a written piece of music shows ingnorance in your selection process.

To the thread owner,
    my idea would be less is more. Take something that you have prepared to 80-85% and iron out the next 10-15%. That is something that we almost NEVER have time for during playing season and summer vacation is double so valuable when we can really accomplish something!

10. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway