Any tips on coping with mouth ulcers?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GordonH, May 14, 2006.

1. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I only seem to get them when I am generally run down in other ways.
    I take vitamin C every day and I found that after I started doing that the incidenced of mouth ulcers did reduce.
    However, its sods law. I walway get one on the day of a concert, like right now with four hours till I have to start playing.
    And of course, its right under my mouthpiece.

My normal procedure is to lay off playing if it happens athe day before a performance and use some bonjella to try and aid the healing process.

Years ago i was getting lots of them and my dentist found I had a sharp edge on a tooth that was cutting into me. He smoothed it off and that stopped the problem. The current ones are not related to any sort of abrasion that I can find.

Obviously the lips are very sensitive and having anything painful under the mouthpiece is not good news.

How do you deal with this?

2. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    I can't help you with prevention, but I can with cure.

Bonjella us useless for anyone other than teething babies. Go down to your local pharmacy and ask fo "Adcortil in Orbase". This is a paste type stuff which you put onto the ulcer, and leave it there for as long as you can. It is possible to play with it on, but you have to be a little careful about the movement of the inside of your mouth. It usually gets rid of an ulcer in one or two days.

Edit. Oops, sorry, shouldn't have jumped in before Manny.

3. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Yep, thats not available over the counter here but my dentist has offered it to me before. I need to get some and keep it in the house.

Now the train service into the city has been cancelled for the day so I am having to drive in....

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Don't laugh but this may be an opportunity for you to examine whether you can play with less pressure. I, like you, will very occasionally suffer from this when things get sterssful but by and large it's not a recurring problem.

May I suggest that you try substituting whatever amount of pressure you may be accustomed with more, bountiful air use? It'll relieve the grinding against your lip that excacerbates the inner biological effects of stress. Also, be careful regarding how closely you shave. It's worth it for us to change the blade more often so that you don't bear down on the skin just to help avaoid this sort of thing. I shave in the shower and find that when my skin has been softened by the hot water towards the end of the shower I can shave closely and not have any skin problems.

So, a few thoughts to see if they have meaning for your particular situation.

ML

5. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Thats OK Manny
    Its not really a pressure issue as I have spent the past year fixing that :lol:
    If anything, using less pressure makes it easier to play with an ulcer but its not the whole answer.

I think I have been lucky this time as its right on the dge of my embouchre.

I found that the secret to reducing the pressure was to learn how to position my tongue for each note as if I was whistling.
    This has also allowed me to buzz on a mouthpiece which I could not do before.
    Its made a big difference.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    "Ulcer" = "Canker sore"? Haven't had one of those since..... hmmmm.....
    it's "been a while"! I've heard that rinsing with salt water helps.... how about a week on the Adriatic?

7. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I use a mouthwash when I get them and that helps.
    The worse ones are when I have bitten my lip in my sleep and it swells up so its difficult to avoid biting it again.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Ahhh... THAT kind of ulcer. Now I know what you mean... I've got a lower canine tooth that is "proud" of the rest of my jaw and it sometimes tries to poke a hole inside my cheek when I'm chewing something that's... "insufficiently marinated". Likely the result of over-crowding (had upper braces when I was a kid but don't remember ever getting the lower jaw "done").

Know what you mean about "once bit, two times a target" too.

No suggestions then, I'm afraid. Except possibly to sleep with your mouth open and hope that anyone else within 50 yards can get used to the buzz-saw effect during the night!

9. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    My teeth had been rubbing on each other over the years and one of my eye teeth was very sharp so i had it buffed down by the dentist and that solved my long term problem.
    I think todays one was the way I was lying as I have a sore back also.

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Rinsing with hydrogen peroxide really goes a good job as well.