any tips on how to get better

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by Aflow, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Aflow

Aflow New Friend

Jul 1, 2005
    im 15 and in my high school marching band, jazz ensamble, wind ensamble, and some other things.
    But im having trouble triple n double tonguing and playing abovethe C above tuning C. I practice alot each day, about 30 mins and i do long tones scales things from arbans book on trumpet but its not helping too much. so if anyone has tips plz tell me

thanks
    aflow

2. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Well... Take your screen name, "Aflow", and then put in "ir" after the "A". That, in my opinion is the most important. Airflow!
    You need to take good solid breaths, fill up your lungs and keep a straight steady airflow right down the middle of the lead pipe keeping a constant pressure of air pushing out of your lungs and straight though the horn.
    Theres lots of breathing excersizes you can do to help build your breathing strength. Theres a video called "The Breathing Gym" made by two of the best tubist is the world, Pat Sheriton, and Sam Pilaphian(sp?). These guys are great, Pat works with the Academy Drum and Bugle corps here in Phoenix alot and occasionaly visits my highschool with tips on breathing. They are awsome, and their breathing excersizes really do work. Like alot of people I didn't belive it at first, but my playing has improve so much over the last couple years because of it.
    Work on your breathing and that will help in getting your range. Although, right now you have no need to be playing higher than that high C, don't push it, those note will come when they are ready.

As for the double and triple tounging. There a litle excersize I do that is a sort of toung twister thing. What you do is repeativly sing: "Red, Leather, Yellow, Leather. Red, Leather, Yellow, Leather. Red, Leather, Yellow, Leather." And sing it to the tune of a song with lots of eight and sixteenth notes. It's hard at first, but work on it and you'll get faster, then your double and tripple tounging will get faster.

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    It is not going to happen overnight............but if you use your brains, progress will occur at a rapid rate.
    Talking and tonguing are related. As a student I practiced the triple tonguing studies in the Arban book without the horn. I use da da ga for the triple tongue. I use a metronome as an aid.
    Mendez' tongue was not fast in the beginning, but he practiced the syllables while walking around in his hometown. Try it :cool:
    Wilmer

4. Aflow

Aflow New Friend

Jul 1, 2005
    Thanks im going to try all of those and probably going to try and find that video at our nearest music store

thanks again aflow

5. Darrien

Darrien Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2008
    St Vincent (West Indies)
    Wilmer, when you speak of practicing the syllables off-horn, do I just work the tongue with the mouth in a relaxed manner or must I do it using my playing emboucher??

6. Joe DiMonte

Joe DiMonte Mezzo Forte User

Apr 30, 2006
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    Theres a video called "The Breathing Gym" made by two of the best tubist is the world, Pat Sheriton, and Sam Pilaphian(sp?).

I fully understand the topic is about "tips on how to get better" but when I see tubist names that does not include JIM SELF,I get nervous,damn nervous.

Jim Hound is what we,the drinking class call TOP SHELF !