Any tips on how to move slides faster?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Apr 2, 2012.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Any tips on how to move the 3rd valve slides FAST in situations such as when playing scales in 16th notes?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    A great slide oil if you are not fortunate to be the owner of an Olds Recording. Fastest trigger in the West (North, South and East for that matter). I got my Martin Committee back from Tom Green, I could not believe how fast the 3rd slide worked. I asked what he used and he told me Ultra Pure slide grease. So I ordered my own, and it comes in two grades, a light grade lube for rapid moving parts (third valve slides) and a regular grade tuning slide lube for all others. There really is a difference and that light grade really works.

3. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I use Ultra Pure slide grease and it works great. I just wanted to know techniques for moving the slide fast and in time. Thanks for the reply!

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You don't need to move the slide on fast runs like that.

5. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Keep in mind that air is only gong through the third valve slide when you have that valve depressed... You really only need to get it back for the next time you need that valve in instead of out. Depending on the scale that may never need to be put back! Basically you can judge it by analyzing the scale. You may have more time than you think.
    If this is old news, my appologies.
    Consider which finger is moving the slide. Try ring, try middle, etc.

6. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I'm preparing for an all-state band audition where every tiny aspect counts. And they just have to pick scales with C#'s and D's :-(

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That is a sober and good point, Dale. I really don't think the human ear will detect a slight pitch change at that speed.

8. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    Here are some tips based on my experience and also talking with two professional orchestra players:

On fast runs, you don't usually need to pull your slides, but there are exceptions:
    1)Low D and C# - for these two notes, pull out your slide, or else they may sound like the wrong note; however, you only need to pull PART way, because pulling out all the way at such a high speed is just impractical.
    2)Watch for important parts of the phrase, such as climaxes, highest/lowest note, etc. -- these occasional notes are much more worth getting in tune.
    3)Consider pulling your slide less, and adjusting with lips more, on slightly longer notes, unless they are, like, whole notes.

9. BurningHills

BurningHills Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    I would say maybe keep the third valve slide out through the fast passages. As Chapmand said above, it only affects the pitch while the third valve is depressed. Different notes require different 3rd valve slide positions, but is there any note played with the third valve where the slide is all the way in?

10. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Eb's and Ab's will be flat if the third slide is extended. At this point, I instinctively extend the third slide whenever my right hand fingers 1-3 or 1-2-3. I only register it after the fact. I'm not saying this means I'm always in tune -- it happens during fast chromatic passages and I suspect I'm probably flat on Eb's as much as I'm in tune on D's. On fast passages it's really just a spastic extension of my middle finger (Spock grip).

I haven't been through the audition rigamarole the OP is facing, so I can't guess what the adjudicators look for. Do they want to see a meaningless fast extension, a well-reasoned extend-the-slide-and-leave-it strategy, or do they not care? Couldn't tell you.