Any tips on how to move slides faster?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Apr 2, 2012.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That is why modern instruments have both a first and third valve slide. You use the one that causes the least damage elsewhere.

Dale is 100% right about not needing the slide for fast runs. Your comment "I'm preparing for an all-state band audition where every tiny aspect counts." shows that you don't understand what the problem is! The real tiny aspect is intonation and we can adjust for that with the lips alone. Moving the valve slides allow more RESONANCE than lipping up or down, but moving the slides quickly during 16ths will move the horn around a bit adding instability to our tone. That resonance is NOT discernable on very fast passages in the low register.

If we are playing a C or D major scale, we can leave the third slide out. The third valve is used for nothing else except the D. I would not leave the 3rd slide extended for an Eb or Ab.

So, for the audition your playing will be judged. If there are intonation issues, the adjudicators look for reasons. If you properly lip the notes in tune, they have nothing bad to hear - and no reason to look for other things.

Post what you expect to be such a low frequency challenge. Maybe there are alternate solutions.....

2. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    Dale and Robin +1

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    If you're playing 16th notes how bad could it sound(?) if you don't adjust the slide, just saying. By the time they may hear a little intonation issue, you're on the next note, maybe the third step up!

But I agree with gnomady. Whatever he says, yeah, whatever he says.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  4. BurningHills

BurningHills Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    Hmm, I always thought that Eb's and Ab's needed at least some slide adjustment, D's needed more, and C# needed a bit more still. I'll have to get out the tuner and experiment...

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    You should have no fear of any scale!

6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The third slide is usually made just a bit long, so that 2-3 valve combos are (should be) right in tune. Some older horns, with no slide adjustments, have even longer third valve slides -- so that Eb (and Ab) are a little flat, D below the staff is in tune, and low C# is a bit sharp.

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I think all things have been said in this thread.

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Gary...............Gary come quick! He spelled your name wrong!!!!!!!!! Yeah, I quoted it so he cant change it. Your own spell checker spelled your name wrong. Nice BidGub. I mean BigBud, or BidBud......

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I must humbly hand in my resignation as Gmonady's spell checker, however, it is not a standard word that would have come up in my vast research and studies.......:cool:

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Resignation rejected. BigDub... I need you man. the gmonady thing is easy to miss and heck if you like gnomady better, I'll change my name for you... I REALLY need an editor! Cody... Leave BigDub alone... or am I going to have to give you another Fatherly nuggie?