Any tips on how to move slides faster?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Stick a fork in it...this thread's done.

2. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Consider it forked.
    RT

3. Flugellover

Flugellover New Friend

Dec 20, 2011
    I usually grease mine with regular grease, then pour some of the oil that I use for my valves over the slide to speed it up.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I know of people that put valve oil in the container of grease to make a even mix. Not something I would do, but it is probably easier.

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    As Dale and Robin point out, the third slide only affects sound when the 3rd valve is depressed. Otherwise it is turned off, regardless of its position. I've noticed some teachers never share this info and their players tend to work too hard at getting the slide out and back in rapidly, sometimes affecting the sound as much as not even using the slide would.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That would not be true for my third valve. It is very happy... and is never depressed.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    How unfortunate! With no ups and downs, no ins and outs life can be a real bore. When its comes to life, Gnomady's horns just blew it. Only pipe dreams! Gary needs to get braced for the next trumpet case (or was that basket case.....?).

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OMG... you have knitted several threads of my recent posts into these short 3 lines! To me life is a real bore... thanks to Schilke and Olds mouthpieces. And as for the case thing, my intent is to Torpedo my current case with this replacement. And may I suggest BigDub as your editor, and his first task woud be if he can scrample your use of Gnomady. AND finally, after cleaning my Martin Committee and blowing water through it as the manual that came with the horn suggested, the ups and downs have never been faster.

9. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    I tend to agree with Dale. Also, remember that there was a time when trumpets did not have a third slide ring, adjustments in pitch had to be made with the embouchure. So maybe the same thing would apply; instead of trying to get the slide out on a fast run, be conscious of the pitch and make a slight embouchure adjustment. And as gmonady said, how many people can HEAR the pitch being sharp on a note when it goes by very quickly?

(Oops.... guess this thread had run it's course already......mea culpa).
    Brad361

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    One my few unintended puns. I was installing Ubuntu on a notebook and was having trouble with the GUI - Gnome. It was giving me grief and I was going gnomemady. Then this thread came along. I'll pass on Torpedoing this thread any longer and any thoughts of editing - freedom of speech you know. Be careful that the water in the marting coma-itty doesn't leak out of the bottom valve caps.