Any tricks for getting a kid to squeak by with sorta playing bugle?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Oct 3, 2011.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I'm teaching a 12 year old to play bugle so he can earn the boy scout merit badge. He didn't practice for the first few weeks, but we cancelled lessons, so not too bad. Still, he continues to practice about 5-10 minutes a few times a week. That's not enough to gain some chops. In order to pass off this merit badge, he needs to learn a bunch of bugle calls. The highest note is G above the staff. The kid can only sorta get up to treble c. Are there any tricks to get him to squeak by and get those high Gs? It doesn't have to sound good. I don't want to be teaching him for a year. I think next lesson I'll lend him my practice mute. Part of his practicing issue is that his dad sleeps during the day.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    With 6 kiddies under 11, I don't see how YOU have time to teach! No shortcuts to building chops.

4. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    Which is why I'd like to hurry this up. When I took this on, I thought I'd just have to teach the kid the basics and then have him go work on the rest by himself, but mom expects me to get the kid playing the calls and if he doesn't practice, I'm envisioning lessons for a year or longer. (Since the only real practice he seems to be getting is once a week at lessons.) I don't want to be teaching for pennies for a year! I much prefer teaching my own children for nothing. I know they practice diligently.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yea, start out by telling them the fingers are a snapp to learn.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Tell the kid that if he is a real Scout, he'll be resourceful enough to find a way and a place to practice. The bugle may be the illegitimate child of the trumpet, it is still a heroic instrument, and it's only worthy of being played by heroes. If you don't want to tell him yourself, show him this posts and others that may come.

I think almost all of us received a much-needed "kick to the seat of our pants" at some point. (Some need more than one!)

One option would be to tell him not to come back until he's practiced, and then charge by the mistake.

7. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    Hmm find a lower pitched bugle. Brings the G down to a mere E natural.

That's not really good advice actually. But it might help. If the kid doesn't practice he should look into getting another merit badge.

The ability to connect to the G top of staff is a sign of at least a half decent embouchure. Anything less than that is indicative of someone who doesn't much care about his playing.

8. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    hey isn't the scouts motto "Be prepared" ?
    There are probably many more challenging tasks in his scouting career than playing bugle.
    Ask him, if a bear invaded his scout camp and he had to warn everyone else in the camp only using his bugle, what would he do?
    I'm sure a good scout would figure out a good way :lol:

In all seriousness though, "chops" don't happen over night. With proper training they will come though. If he realizes just how important the role of bugler is, then maybe he will be more inspired to be prepared....

9. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    I've taught this kid before. As far as I can tell, his mom should be the one in boy scouts, earning the badges... I guess I'll persist for awhile and if the kid isn't improving suggest to the mom that we take a break and not start back again until the kid can play that G. I've taught him enough that if he practiced daily for 30 minutes, he should be improving, but he's not. Mom's just tickled pink that he's making noise come out of the instrument.

10. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    do scouts today actually apply the knowledge they learn to earn these badges in real world use?
    I mean do they actually know the purpose of why they have to learn what they do?
    or is it just another task they have to learn/endure to get to the next level? like a video game...

I wonder....I am so amazed how relatively smart kids are today in technical matters as compared to when I was growing up (some years ago)
    yet if you took away their computers,games, gadgets, do they have the curiosity , patience and drive to create/seek out a solution to problems in their own hands and minds without pushing a button?