Any tricks for getting a kid to squeak by with sorta playing bugle?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    The Boy Scouts went downhill after they adopted the tan khaki colors (reminiscent of "Hitler youth") from the green khaki I wore as a boy.

Green khaki rocks. The good old days when we actually had fun in Boy Scouts.

Now? Tan khaki is symbolic of a neo fascist youth organization.

"jav ho mon commandant"

hj01.jpg

2. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    wtf? how does color make any difference? other than if you want to hide in the desert , wear tan...if you want to hide in the forest, wear green...
    neither is better, only wiser for the surroundings to blend in.
    If you really want to have fun, take the real meaning of scouting and not worry what you are wearing.
    To survive we need to adapt to our surroundings, or modify to our needs....I feel it is much easier to adapt than modify....

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    For me, a person who gives it their all, tries their best and fails miserably deserves more merit than one whose goal is to "squeak by." Just sayin'.

4. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I agree, but in the meantime, I have a mom who has faith that I can make her son learn to play bugle calls despite the fact that she can't make him practice daily. Perhaps I need to talk to mom.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    1. I'd first ask the mother to corroborate that the boy's father needs to sleep during the day because he works the night shifts, then 2. ask for an agenda of the boy's activity after school and on weekends. If the answer to 1. is negative, I'd 3. ask if she is present at home when the boy arrives home after school. Knowledge of the domestic arrangements in a student's home is very helpful in the approach to teaching the student.

I know of no trumpet or cornet mute as will fit and silence a U.S. Regulation Model 1892 bugle adequately.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I wonder if they would accept the G being dropped an octave? Hey, if the kid tries and range is the only problem, I'd probably pass him.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I had to work for my bugling badge and it wasn't just taps. If the kid won't work and his mom won't let him practice, there's nothing you can do, so don't sweat it. It sounds like the mother has really low expectations.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Relying on excuses is NOT learning a viable life ethic. The boy has 6 years to earn this bugling merit badge. I know I could have gotten mine earlier but I didn't really want it then. I was a Life Scout beginning my high school sophmore year before I went before the board for it and I was then certain I wouldn't have had a chance to present any excuse not to play it as then proscribed in the criteria. I can only say that when I graduated high school, every boy who had earned the rating as an Eagle Scout was so noted in graduation exercises, as amounted to every boy in our troop then graduating ... and everyone of them could then play a bugle as well or better than me.

9. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Caution Thread hijack in process.

They use khaki colors in your San Francisco middle schools Steve. Some of them anyway. Supposedly to ward off gang colors. But it wreaks of fascist authoritarianism in my mind.

I almost enrolled my son in some hellhole known as the "Enola Maxwell School of the Arts" Which was just code for:

Hideous inner city ghetto junior high where your kid will get beaten, robbed and forced into gang violence.

I took the poor boy and put him back in a nice Jewish school instead. Cost a fortune but I just let my wife default on the bill at graduation.

Anyway the poor kids at this school: Enola Maxwell Middle School for the Arts « Pathways for Kids

Had to wear white shirts and khaki pants. School uniform in a public school. Insanity. I can understand the fears of gang colors worn at school but the uniformity (and subsequent lock step acceptance) scared the bejesus out of me.

Between the two? I'd take the gang membership. Just barely though.

And yes: I won the bugler merit badge. 1968 or so i think. Played the hell out of Revelle and Retreat.

10. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    does blue still signify "Cripts" and red the "Bloods"?
    jeeze whata waste! poor kids....get'em scouting....then they will only kill for food;-)
    of course I am only being sarcastic and making light of the subject, but I know .... being close to Oaktown or Richmond or even Vallejo , it is still a cruel reality.....
    poor kids :oops:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011