Any tricks for getting a kid to squeak by with sorta playing bugle?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Oct 3, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay.. here's my 2 cents
    you can use a smaller mouthpiece .. like a 10 1/2C .. that MIGHT help
    one way to build up chops and tone is through the use of staccato attacks and then stacatto attacks on intervals.
    They have to really be stacatto and really attacked..
    but the kid has to put in 30 minutes a day ( at least).
    random thought here ...Did you ever get the slide free?
    okay .. I would make up a cd of the exercises since he really isn't going to have to read music..
    The cd should have something fun for warm ups and then something of a fun track to play along with.
    If you don't have the means to do that shoot me a PM .. maybe I can help.

2. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    The slide moves freely:) I told mom about the freezer trick. (It really works!) The mom had bought a new mouthpiece. I have no idea what size or anything, just that she was grossed out about the one that came with the bugle, so went to the music store in town and asked what she should buy. The kid has been playing on the bugle mouthpiece that came with it. The kid does read music. He's not very good at it, but I taught him to play recorder and thus, read music. We didn't get into more advanced stuff, but we spent some lesson time counting out the bugle call rhythms. It is an opportunity to give my ears a break and spend time doing something productive. Also, he has a piano at home- a very nice one. (Mom had decided last year that the kid was going to learn to play piano. I don't know why she doesn't just learn herself. I'm sure she wants to and that's why she makes her son do 50 million things.) I gave him the notes on the piano and told him to just buzz with the piano if he needed to be quiet. I also plunk out the notes on the piano before asking him to hit the notes. (So he knows what note to aim for.)

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My kha kis go in my right trouser pocket - then I know were to find them quickly if I'm in an unsavoury neighbourhood and need to get into the kha quickly. ;-) Well, I don't actually have a kha, I have a Jazz. :roll:

4. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Practice is the only way. You could get a bugle pitched in the key of G which makes it a little simpler, but to earn the badge he has alot of work ahead of him. It has to come from within and if it is not everyone is wasting there time. If the other boys were interested and competing to "be the Bugler" you might see some effort out of them. Maybe if you showed them some Youtube of buglers performing. Might inspire?

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Decide what is really important to you. Sounds like the kid has made his choice and it is not the bugle.

6. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    coolerdave, your inbox has reached capacity. I can't respond to your pm.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    This boy has two choices: he practices or he does not with consequences that he plays the bugle well or he does not.

The odds are a merit board is composed of males who are mostly military veterans, and likely to have been former Scouts, With the Boy Scout motto of "Be Prepared", as a veteran and former Scout myself, this boy's status presently seems almost entirely unprepared for the merit badge of bugling. Your reports of his present progress don't seem to alter his status of failure in the least, especially if I were on the board. If the boy does not earn this merit badge, who is the Mom going to blame? The answer to that is you Christine! If you are tutoring, that is not favorable "word of mouth" advertising in your community.

8. christineka

Feb 24, 2010
    The boy asked me today what "Fatigue" was for. Well, it means tired, so... something for being tired? I will send him some links so he can read more about bugling. (And I'll read them myself.) He said he has to do these bugle calls when the troop goes camping. I don't know when the next camp-out will be.

I tried a new "exercise" today. I went over embouchure again first. Then, I had him play whatever high note he could hit. It may not be the best exercise, but he had a fun time and laughed thinking about his mother's reaction to such an exercise. I also suggested keeping his mouthpiece with him and buzzing while riding around in the van. He also got a kick out of imagining his mother's reaction to that. I'm sensing that his mother has the idea that his playing is bothersome. I hope she's not curtailing his practicing.

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Have him move his lips to the two thirds or even a quarter embouchure arch the tongue way up, and have him practice really quietly. Tone eh well :thumbdown:

10. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I know kids have a kid sense of humor. Honestly teach him the buzzing technique. Tell him to buzz the lips and make farting sounds. Once he can get a single note for a few seconds. Have him stop goofing around and make those fart tones more articulate. Really the fart analogy is good for very young starters.