Any tricks for getting a kid to squeak by with sorta playing bugle?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, Oct 3, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay.. it's starting to sound less stressful... so that's a good thing

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As much as I understand buzzing with and without the mouthpiece, in a car, van or bus is NOT a place I want to hear anyone else do it. It is not a pleasant sound and a distraction to the driver, and more likely not a way to remain freindly with any other passengers.

Certainly there are many moments with beginners on any brass instrument where I wish I could wear my air force jet line ear protectors. The 4 beginners I'm tutoring now are in their 4th week and still not past this threshhold, but still a lesson ahead of where they are in school instrumental music with the same book.

Also, the end of the school day is not an optimum time for tutoring whereas "fatigue" is beginning to set in, but I've decided such is more a constraint factor than physical. It's the old story of looking out the window and seeing one's friends at play while you must stay inside and do your music lesson. I'm sure that once upon a time I felt the same way.

What would have helped significantly in your present circumstance is that you could play a bugle and demonstrate the calls, which you've given no indication you can. As much as my Mother knew about music, in my opinion playing her piano with concert quality and often tutoring the same, she wouldn't have dared attempt to tutor brass instruments which all of her three sons learned and I'm the only one of the three as continued beyond high school band, and did achieve a minor in instrumental music from college, yet it wasn't, and still isn't my primary career, but something I now enjoy immensely.

3. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I have been playing the bugle calls for the boy before having him attempt the first part that he can sorta play. I am not great at trumpet, I admit. I am, however, the only person in my small town willing to tutor a kid on a brass instrument and my rates reflect the fact that I'm doing this for a favor, not to make money.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    OK, in my opinion it doesn't take a lot of skill to sound bugle calls and on a trumpet is far better than on a piano to demonstrate. Small town I now know well as I now live in a rural town with a last published census of 702 albeit it is the county seat of a large county whose economic basis is primarily agriculture which hurricane Irene didn't provide any favors with this year. While there are two county high schools, the decline of students now has them considering merger although they already merged all the middle schools into their facilities just this year. I am not impressed by either of the high school bands and both current directors who also have duties as instrumental music instructors in the lower grades are new and here on a Teachers for America program as will pay off their college student loans. One is highly skilled on both piano and flute and with support of her father has also opened a music school in the adjacent county to our West 18 miles away. Initially she had the support of a fine percussionist, but he has left to get his master's degree. Now she relys on advanced students in the high school there to tutor others on instruments she is not proficient herself with. Too, it is only a part time operation from 4 PM to 9 PM Mondays thru Thursday and 9 AM to 12 PM and 1PM to 5 PM on Saturday and such is contingent on having enrolled students when operating.

Too, competent instrument repair services are very distant and time delaying. To alleviate this, I am acquiring and now able to provide a few loaner student trumpets that are in playable yet not pretty condition. I now value my time highly (what time I have left in life) and charge $50 / hour, but divided among the 4 I tutor simultaneously that amounts to only $12.50 each. I believe there are strong advantages to having the 4 of these at once as removes the isolation factor or otherwise the "looking out the window" syndrome. Looking out the window in the room we practice in, all one would see is pine trees, not a view with much interest to a child. Well, $200 / mo additional income isn't making me rich either. This said, now passing their 4th week all are a lesson ahead in the same book as used in their school instrumental music program and mostly can now sound the notes from a C below the staff to an F on the 5th line without chromatic sharps and flats. Presently, by Christmas I'm hoping each can play a good rendition of Silent Night. I've no problem with this as they are all Christian.