Any trumpet players near Ontario California????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by acarcido, Oct 12, 2011.

1. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Hi, I'm trying to see how many horn players there are around my area (91761). I haven't been playing as much as I would like other than at my church, but I would like to occassionally get together with other local players for some jam sessions or just to play whatever comes our way. I did go check out the communitty band at Chaffey but I was completely ignored when I went to visit. Anyways, hope to hear from some of you guys soon.....

2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    It sounds like a trumpeter's dream...a whole provence...and you're the only trumpet player. You automatically get to play 1st trumpet. Just kidding maybe someone will chime in from your area ehhh ?

3. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Hahaha i get to play and dub myself in multiple trumpet parts. Lol at least thats what i do when im bored. I used to get together with some friends in LA to play some contemporary jazz, but layely its been too far a drive and traffic is horrible any way i drive. Plus, wife gets mad when i get home too late too often. ;-)

4. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    Hi Art,

I'm in Fontana, but from our previous conversations I think you're pretty far ahead of me. I started my comeback less than 2 yrs. ago, and am pretty ignorant musically. On the plus side, I'd have no problem playing 3rd or 4th parts! Let me know if you want to get together. Do you have a place for us to play?

Mike

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Yo Art .... San Pedro is a drive from Ontario I get up there as some of my kids live in Rancho. Something you might consider. I volunteer in the Pay It Forward Band ( google it) .. once a month we play in nursing homes. They basically give you lead sheets .. sometimes transposed ..sometimes not. No rehersals ... just a couple nursing homes for each group. Last time they had 4 groups. As of right now I am the lone trumpet player ... so alot of the other groups could use a horn player. It's an afternoon well spent and the traffic in isn't so bad that early in the day.
    I agree with you about some of the local JC's around here .... not sure where the attitude comes from but Chaffey has a rep for being a bunch of snobs.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Is that wine country? :lol:

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Hi Mike,

I believe we have spoken before but never had the opportunitty of meeting. Hey, two years as a comeback player, thats awesome and hope to get together soon.

Coolerdave, Thank you so much for that info on the Pay It Forward program. I will definitely look forward to it. BTW, yes, the Chaffey JC band does tend to be a bit snobish. Truth be told, I went out there as an invite a few weeks ago and myself and this young graduate from LA school or Arts blew away the entire trumpet section just jamming. It was a guilty pleasure I felt inside afterwards. Hahahah

Tobylou8, this place is know as wine country, but those prestigious vineyards are long gone and are mainly cultured in Temecula now. Although they still have the wineries in Ontario just off the Hwy 10 on Archibald exit.

I'm thinking perhaps we can make a facebook page or something to get local players to get together and not worry about acceptance. Just make a few days where we can all get together and just have fun playing or talking horns. Easier said than done right?

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    well this is LA so we all own fast cars right?

9. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Coolerdave,

Yes it is LA, and fast is right. Although with four kids, I tend to keep the rpm's way below my level of comfort.:cool:

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    as if the traffic would allow different huh

so what's the page going to be called "So Cal Chops"