Any valve trombone doublers here?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigtiny, Oct 12, 2013.

1. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    If so, how do you arrange your practice time between trumpet and trombone?

Do you try to get some time on each everyday, switch off days?

bigtiny

2. bluenote89

bluenote89 New Friend

Oct 9, 2013
    New York
    Interested in this one too...I just bought a trombone. After I played around with it for a while, I picked up my trumpet and wanted to put it down again b/c the mouthpiece felt so awkward after playing the trombone :shock:

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I switch quite a bit between normal and bass trumpet during practice sessions. I purposely use a big tenor trombone mouthpiece (DW 4BS) so it doesn't overlap my normal mouthpiece position, and gives a really good aerobic workout.

In particular, I tend to do most of my heavy scales and tricky fingering practice on the bass, so I can sort those out while I'm essentially 'resting' my lip.

After a good session on the bass, the normal trumpet feels light as a feather, and an easy blow!

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Agree with Seth here,

As a doubling instrument, I read the trumpet part for small group/combo, and it adds a bit of dimension to the sound. I have to be careful not to play too much on Trom, as I find that my chops can lose feeling when I go back to trumpet, If I keep under 20 mins it seems all OK. I like to mix it up with Flugel/cornet as well, just again for the sound contrasts.

When my trumpet chops need a rest, I can play valve trom for a few minutes, and it feels like I have given the chops a rest.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    my primary instrument is the trumpet --- so that is my primary concentration in practice --- The trombone, is only used (so far) for parades for 6 times a year. I like to switch between both instruments during a practice (perhaps 75% on the trumpet, and 25% on the trombone) --- doubling is having 2 different embouchures and if you pick up a trombone you just have to start slowly and work your way into it

6. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    Want to work on the bass trumpet and maybe a t bone.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  8. chef8489

chef8489 Piano User

Aug 8, 2011
    Asheville nc
    Cant the Bass trumpet play the part of Trombone? BTW I want an h.n. white silver sonic with a f key in my collection of musical instruments.

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Same range and similar tone, but they rather perversely call their 1st position notes Bb, F Bb, D (and so on down to 7th position low E), and play off concert pitch parts. So Bb bass trumpet has to transpose the tenor trombone part up a tone.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    To transpose concert pitched music (as always for a C pitched instrument), the transposition is up two semi-tones ( a tone ) and the addition of two sharps to the key signature in which the Concert music is written. Each added sharp will nullify one flat if such is in the Concert key of F, Bb, Eb, Ab Db, Gb and Cb. This rule applies also to F# and C# and I don't know what I'll do if I ever encounter music in such concert key. which I haven't yet. Too, remember notes or music in the bass clef are a tone lower vis a B is on the second line, not the third line as it appears in the treble clef. Most of the music I play is transposed from piano (a C pitched instrument) music, as is that found in hymnals for example and also the most common sheet music.