Any valve trombone doublers here?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigtiny, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Instead of transposing up a major 2nd, it's a diminished 3rd. So C# becomes Eb; F# becomes Ab. Similarly, the more frequently encountered concert B can be easier to work through in Db than C#. And it's heads or tails whether you play concert E in F# or Gb.

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    It depends on whether you'll be switching back and forth between trumpet and trombone during the course of a gig. If so, you'll need to practice going back and forth, and how to "find" the appropriate embouchure at a moment's notice. The important thing will be developing the knack of switching back to trumpet after you've played trombone as long and loud as you'll need to. I find that I have to play trombone with a pretty light touch to be able to easily switch back to trumpet. Aebersold tracks are a great training tool for heavy doubling. Play a chorus on trumpet, play the next one on trombone, and then switch back to trumpet. Start some on trombone and then play several choruses -- then switch to trumpet.

If you'll only be playing valve trombone on a gig, once you get a feel for the embouchure and the air demands of the larger horn, you probably won't find that very much maintenance practice is needed.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    A Thayer valve on a tenor T-bone switches the pitch from Bb to F. I regularly play a marching F mellophone.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    just to add to this -- so far in community band, I haven't had the opportunity to play both instruments in a concert yet --- I play trumpet in the concerts, and trombone in all the parades -----------------------just the same though, I still switch back and forth during each practice session to keep "both" embouchures in top notch shape ----------------------I started the trombone almost 2 years ago now -- the first 3 months of switching sucked ----- but I never lost much of the trumpet range, because I started out slow with the trombone (only a few minutes a day, then gradually added minutes of play time of the trom into my trumpet practice) ----------------now, I can switch to either instrument without any problems --------and I like that ability!!!! ---even though, yet, I haven't used it ----------------- I should have a fund raising gig in January for 10 wonderful minutes, in which I can display my abilities on both instruments!!!!

5. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I use my bass trumpet as a warm down or in my second practice session of the day, so that I can continue to work on my practice pieces without over doing the chops. I am currently using a Bach copy 12C, but will be looking at the Stork Custom mouthpieces soon.

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    I'm only an occasional doubler on valve trombone and I confess I don't practice very much on it… So I always had problems to manage the big mouthpiece! ... until I bought a Parduba 3 *** which is a special model dedicated to trumpet players (don't forget the 3 stars when ordering it):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Let me add that I only play parts for trumpet, an octave below, and that I think the valve trombone as a transposing horn: no bass key for me, and for me open notes are C, G,… not Bb, F, …

7. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    What mouthpiece do you use? It looks much smaller than the 12C that came with my bass trumpet; and I am looking for a more comfortable piece. Is it a trombone mouthpiece?

Thanks beforehand for any info.

Gary

8. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.