Any way to learn how to play high flutter notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Haste2, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    I have an amazing musical opportunity, playing first trumpet on Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. :-)

I'm having great difficulty playing flutter notes above tuning C. I can sometimes do the high flutters if I start low and scale my way up to the high notes, but even then I cap around G on top of the staff (my normal range goes up to at least a high C). Problem is....my part requires playing as a high as a B while fluttering.

From what I can tell, I am doing the following to accomplish them: I attack the note, then I put my mouth in a "tu" position to start the flutter, though it takes like half a second to start the fluttering. The problem is, that kind of vowel is what you need for LOW notes! :-?

Any tips on getting high flutter notes? I have one idea, but I want to see your opinions. I have about five weeks until the performances.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Try starting the flutter immediately and not putting your mouth in a "tu" position first.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Start with lower notes and work your way up the scale gradually. The flutter interrupts your airflow and your lips are not used to that. You need to develop a new "habit". Patience an diligence are your friends. practice half and whole note scales with the flutter. It will get easier with time.