Anybody do songwriting or arranging?

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Annie, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Anybody do some songwriting or arranging? I'm just starting out doing this, and I was just curious if anyone else was in the business.

2. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I composed my first piece when I was 5. It was for a litle competition that my piano teacher suggest I try, and I ended up takeing 1st place! When I look back on it now, it wasn't that great, but a couple years I revised it for my concert band and made a few slight/major changes, and we played it at one of our concerts.
    Recently I've written lots of things, a few brass quintets, a couple concert band pices, and the first two movments of a symphoney. I got a bad case of writters block so I put that aside for a few months. I'll start up on it again sometime soon.
    When my band took our Carnegie Hall trip to New York last month we saw a broadway musicals "Wicked" and "Monty Pythons Spamalot" and I absoulutly fell in love with musicals, so I decided I would try writeing my own. I just finished my overature and finale the otherday but realized that I don't have a plot or storyline, so that might be a litle difficult, haha.
    This year for my states solo and ensemble festival my trumpet trio is going to be playing a piece I wrote called "Waltz of the Trumpets", and I'm commishoning a piece right now for our clarinet ensemble.
    Once I get all my current projects finished I'm going to go to work on a Marching band corps style piece, that should be fun.

Its great to see other people here getting into composition and whatnot, music is the best way to express yourself, performing other peoples works are good, but writeing you own you can express however you feel even more. Thats what I like about it.

3. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    AWESOME!

4. Whataguy!

Whataguy! Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2004
    Osaka, Japan
    I've been writing music since I was a kid many, many moons ago. These days, I write a lot of music for commercials and promotional videos. Once in a while, I get a call to write arrangements for various jazz artists around the country. Decreasing budgets have forced us production guys to use more MIDI than we'd like, but when there's money, most of us use as many live instruments as we can. Sometimes, I even get to play trumpet or flugel on the stuff I write.

Just make sure you study hard about what instruments can do, listen to well- written and well-arranged music, and don't be afraid to take chances. and you'll do fine. Good luck.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I am working on a few things for my band to play, mainly transcriptions and arrangements of some Mahler right now. I am also going to get cranking on some jazz stuff soon!

6. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    I do songwriting / arranging in a non-traditional sense, put this way, I also write the lyrics. Whatever you intend on doing, you just have to write what you feel and not worry about what others think of your music. That's what'll give it its own unique flavor. I've personally developed a very avant-garde style of writing anything and will write the weirdest progressions and make some of the weirdest tempos when I feel like it. Once I get music writing software, I have a big band swing chart I'd like to put on paper, but my interests are mainly writing for the music I play.