Anybody ever hear of a Bach with a True Temper Leadpipe ... Craigslist Big One!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Sep 16, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Hey Guys... grab a cup of coffee or a beer ... this is pretty good.
    I saw an ad in Craigslist for a 1950 Bach for $55 .. how could I go wrong ... so we drive 70 miles and meet a guy who has to be Tavin's brother or relative
    please watch attached video to get the picture of Tavin
    Butter - YouTube

now you have the jist of our salesman ..

here's vid of what happened
    DSCF1038 - YouTube

I was going to pass on it ... he asked me if it would make a good lamp ... why do people.. never mind
    He drops the price so low but really... I don't want it..
    Cathy (my wife) felt otherwise and hands him $15 .. he then trieds to give us $5 back ... which of course ain't happening
    Cathy wants everyone to know the slides and valves move freely... and the compression.. pops nicely
    Does anyone recougnise what the horn the tuning slide goes to? It looks familiar.. definitely not Bach
    We figure the body is a Buescher body.. has a Bach bell.. and of course light flex shaft lead pipe.
    anyone need some parts..PM me
    So Cathy feels good at least these guys got there beer money for Friday night.
    Words cannot express how excited I am with this find

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Heh amazing.

I would say that tuning slide is from a Holton Collegiate.

The valve block does not look like Buescher. Might be that aforementioned Holton Collegiate.

Tom

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Tuning slide and body looks like an Ambassador to me.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    the top valve caps thread on the inside of the valve.. which is why I was leaning towards the Buescher. I wondered if the Olds had that shape water key. . sort of hexogonal.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Ambassadors used nickel-silver? I thought they were always all brass?

Tom

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    good point ...
    I felt bad that the gentleman was sick... he said it could be managed with medicine so that was good ... but really using a golf club shaft for a lead pipe... and plumbing pipe for a reciever... too funny
    at least itwon't find it's way into some kids hands who is trying to learn to play the trumpet.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Dave,
    That's too rich! But, if it has a true Bach bell, that could be worth more than you paid. I have some spare bells and leadpipes we could try out. I bet Chuck Madear could pur them on in a jiffy. It might be a fun "Frankenhorn" project - or more literally, 'Bride of Frankenhorn". Just think of the possibilities.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A valve block with no ballusters means low end for sure. The bell is worth saving..........

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I acually think it's a student model Bach bell .... not a Strad .... I need to look up what a ballister is and how to identify one. I assume it has to do wit htuning resonance.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The balluster (I spelled it wrong in my first post) looks like a sleeve over the top half/top third of the individual valves.