Anybody know anything about these guys??

Discussion in 'Horns' started by musicalmason, Jan 1, 2004.

1. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    http://www.chicagobrassworks.com/order.htm horns look decent, Ive never heard about them before, never even seen one before. I just saw this link on the trumpetgeek website. does anybody know anything about them...quality...how well they play...does anybody use them and of course the unavoidable question of price.

2. Lo

Lo New Friend

Nov 25, 2003
    Toronto,Ontario
    Well on the website it lists the price, if that is what you wanted to know. I have never heard of these trumpets but they do not look bad at all! Maybe someone has plenty of info on these trumpets?

3. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    ah yes I just found the price list, thats not to bad givin it is a small company, but it really all depends on how good they are, so any more input is greatly appriciated

4. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
  5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Nick Drozdoff, freelance brass player but mostly trumpet, and physics professor in Chicago has one. He's posted his "findings" on the horn in a couple of places that I know of, one being RMMT and one being in "TragerTrumpetTalk" on MSN Groups.

You might do a search for that stuff and give it a read.

You can find a lot of Nick's music on ampcast.com also.

Edit: For those who are "search impaired", here's Nick's first post on the subject.

From: NickDrozdoff (Original Message) Sent: 14/10/2003 1:32 PM
    Well, after several months wait, I took delivery from Wayne Tanabe on my new Chicago Brassworks model GSC gold plated B-flat trumpet last Wednesday. I gave it its maiden voayge on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I played several gigs and jam sessions.

I couldn't be more thrilled. This darn thing plays with a big warm sound when played softly and in a relaxed fashion. The tone is VERY mellow. Yet, when I needed to "let'er rip" it was downright easy. I could just drill high G's and A's and it felt effortless compared to my other horns (which AREN'T bad horns, BTW). This instrument just projects like CRAZY! I used it at a rock gig on Saturday night and it was very comfortable in the blastississmo dynamic environment that Maestro Larry Eckerling likes. However, at Mike Finnerty's jam session after hours at the Gateway at Clark and Howard, this horn was sweet and mellow in a small quiet quintet environment with the same mouthpiece. I used it again at a rehearsal/jam session last night with the back up band for Chuchito Valdes. The same thing was uniformly evident here, as the dynamic range demanded by that group is extreme (softer softs and louder louds). Again, no problem.

Folks, if you get a chance contact Rich Szabo or Wayne Tanabe and schedule or arrange a trial. These horns aren't cheap (2700 to 3000), but they are worth it. Other outfits have up to one year wait times from order to delivery. Some others don't. Chicago Brassworks took my order in late July, so that was about 2.5 months - not bad for a completely custom made horn.

I realize there are some wonderful horns out there to choose from. Now there's more!

Have fun.

Peace, all.

NickD
    http://www.ampcast.com/NickDrozdoff

Unquote.

6. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Nick Drozdoff is someone whose opinion can be trusted to be 100% accurate. Nick was with Maynard for a year and is in great demand for all kinds of work in the Chicago area and I have the pleasure of working with Nick twice when he soloed with the community band I'm with.
    The first time, he did a Vizzutti thing which I think was called "Blues for Trumpet". It's very difficult and Nick tossed in a couple double Cs for good measure. Vizzutti himself couldn't have played it better. (The trumpet parts in the band are no walk in the park. There a few of the same passages the solo plays and the first part gets up there, but not as high as the solo parts does. Thank goodness for that. The first part somehow ended up on my stand - along with a bunch of grins from the other three section members).
    The second time, he did the Arutunian and played it wonderfully.
    Two entirely different solo works played brilliantly.
    To top it off, Nick is not only a superb player, but a very nice guy too.