Anybody know the story on this custom timetable bell trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gordonfurr1, May 27, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Spotted this earlier when first listed...and didn't sell. The owner relisted, I was interested in trying my hand at buying it and seeing if I could make it work....so messaged the seller.

Here's the ad...still current...

Trumpet for Parts | eBay

Here's what I messaged him:

[TABLE="width: 100%"][TR][TD]Dear andru_wayn,

Hello, I saw and watched this the first time it was listed...I am curious about what exactly didn't work out? Intonation squirrely? I am selling a trumpet soon, and would be interested in driving up from Salisbury to actually try it out. I'm pretty adventurous and curious about these things, and have wanted to try my own hand at making a tuneable bell, and it looks like a good start to me.
    If it does not sell this time around, please give me a chance before relisting at a too low price for what it's worth. If it can possibly be massaged to function, I'd like a shot at it.
    My cell phone is 704-245-5138.

Here's the response:

[TABLE="width: 100%"][TR][TD]Dear danceswithweenies,

The instrument is being sold for parts and I am not interested in having any further interaction with you.
    Please don't bother again.

- andru_wayn

What the heck?

[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]
    [/TD][/TR][/TABLE]

2. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    All right, I'll send a message now... :twisted:

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Obviously a first time seller, would not buy at that price, trying to get some of his money back on a failed project.

Regards, Stuart.

4. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Okay, I honestly asked a nice question and they replied with the same crap as the Item Condition. I'm not taking this lightly...

my response that I'm about to send:
    "Let me be more specific:
    Why is it being sold for parts and as-is? What about this experiment "did not work out"?
    I want real reasons, not a restatement of the TERMS OF SALE IN ALL-CAPS!"

EDIT: No, I'll be insistent but slightly more cool headed
    Let me be more specific:
    Why is it being sold for parts? What about this experiment "did not work out"?
    I want real reasons, not a restatement of the Terms of Sale in all-caps. Why doesn't this combination of parts work?

5. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Ah crap, I just realized I forgot to add "please" to the message before sending. This is going to collapse...

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Yeah...first time seller...(0)...I understand that. And yes, project failed....but why be an a__ to someone eager to step up and take a swipe at it...which is the reason he listed it. It is just odd, and yeah, I'm a bit offended. He knows that I only live forty-five minutes from him...and Tobaccoville is a small village. I doubt I'd have too hard a time tracking down a smart alec named Andrew Wayne that plays trumpet in that village. Now, being an old man, I need to find that aluminum baseball bat I have stashed back somewhere. I could always claim insanity...I know every one of you guys would vouch for that.

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Good luck with that.
    Sounds like a reasonable request of someone who is trying to get $500 out of your pocket with no reputation...(Well, he's started to get one, but that's another issue).
    Oh...he dropped Bob Reeve' s name, so I took the liberty of sending Bob the link to see what light he could/would share about the thing...If he responds I'll share what he has to say about our seller.

8. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    It's for sale - just not to you. This seller is a troll.

9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    $500 for a Collegiat body? The copper bell sure is purdy, but the attitude is priceless. I really like the baseball bat idea, just make sure he's not holding the horn

10. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    If I posted about every jerk I dealt with on eBay I'd spend more time posting than working. There is no shortage of idiots out there. I recommend a deep sigh and moving on. Lingering on a bad seller is almost always more trouble than it's worth. Let it go, move on.