Anybody wanna transcribe this?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChrisDB, Feb 20, 2015.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Fagetabowtit already!

2. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I wasn't going to comment, but on reflection, I think this might be - and I've been on some forums for a very long time - one of the more presumptuous requests I've ever seen.
    Not necessarily including the OP in this, but generally speaking, it amazes and disgusts me just how many people start threads asking for things that they're just too lazy to even make a simple google search on (much less a forum search) before asking others to do their work for them.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Sometimes time is precious. I can understand the OP's request, but usually I am happy to pay for the privilege.

I will quite often ask for help: not necessarily lazy, as much as time short, and if left to my own devices I end up doing my own solo and losing the style of the selected performer. So it is helpful if someone can help...

But for a new player, transcribing is a great way to learn.

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Agreed, but when I get in a bind and need something written or recorded or whatever, I never ask them to do it for free. I go under the assumption that, until I know better, their time is just as valuable to them as mine is to me.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Agreed.

Mike

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    How do you emulate with no understanding of structure? We are not talking about Blues 101, we are talking about an extremely musical AND extreme-technical player here whose playing defies emulation. Listen to that lick. If you aren't skilled in transcription, you have NO CHANCE! I have transcribed some of his solos, but can't really play them like he does. Still, what I gain in mapping his harmonic thought process is good for many other things!

We need basic building blocks before emulation becomes realistic. While we are building technique, we transcribe to build understanding of structure and thought process - something SORELY LACKING in many players.

Want to take bets if ChrisDB will really transcribe and then offer TrumpetMaster members the fruits of his labors?

My guess is when it isn't a free download, it doesn't get done. I would LOVE to be wrong.

7. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Well, obviously you need to have a certain amount of understanding and experience in playing the trumpet, and you need to have put the time in to work your muscles up to the high notes. I'm not suggesting a beginner can pick up a trumpet and play like JM! He has natural skill - genius, if you like (pity so much of that is wasted on progressive jazz in my opinion) - and I would imagine he puts more time in to his music than most of us can afford, but that doesn't mean we can't take something from that. Look up the concept of 'Borrowed Genius'. You can direct your brain to do a lot of the work for you, and while you might never end up like a clone of JM, you might just develop your own particular style that might be just as delightful to you and to others. Don't waste it on progressive jazz!

Just my opinion. Take it or leave it, but why not try it?

8. ChrisDB

ChrisDB Banned

Nov 20, 2014
    To be fair, I did do google searches, nobody transcribed this.

9. SAS

SAS Pianissimo User

Jan 7, 2015
    James probably never transcribed it either. 12 bar blues? He probably just plays it naturally out of pure musical talent and innate ability. And he has a grasp on the high register that few will ever accomplish in a lifetime.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, I teach and preach patterns which let the brain "do a lot of the work for you". The basic building blocks of jazz solos are the basic building blocks of playing trumpet: scales, intervals and using them in progressions. If we have done a bit of homework, our scales, intervals and previous experience of progressions let us hear patterns to transcribe. That is significantly different than just playing downloaded notes without the previous basics. I think that we are on the same page - except for "progressive jazz" which I consider to be a wonderful artform, if not restricted to the very few that really have the background to enjoy it.

I will take your opinion and not leave it.