Anybody wanna transcribe this?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChrisDB, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Chris,
    I'm not sure how much help you're gonna get after saying "I am really not in the mood to transcribe this whole song"
    However, there might be a way!
    There are several free software packages that will allow you to transcribe it yourself. You don't have to do it all at once. Take your time, be sure the software has a playback function and start small, maybe just 2 or 3 measures a week.
    Good luck
    Dr.Mark

Peter McNeill likes this.
  2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    ---
    Transcribing is hard, very hard if you're just learning but once you get your feet wet and write that sucker out, you'll swear that you own it more than Morrison. Years ago I transcribed Coltrane's solo on Giant Steps and it was hard as heck, frustrating, time consuming, and resulted in more cussing than is allowed in most states but trust me, once I was finished, I own it more than his publishing company. Madame Nadia made Bernstein transcribe and she is considered one of the best music teachers ever. Nadia sez " You Do It". To do otherwise would be a dis-service to you.
    Dr.Mark

3. ChrisDB

ChrisDB Banned

Nov 20, 2014

Thanks I'll do it myself, and learn something from it, everyone yelling at me has been kind of upsetting, but at least I know just how hard everything is.

4. ChrisDB

ChrisDB Banned

Nov 20, 2014
    I will transcribe it, but pieces of it, I am beginner at jazz itself and transcription, when I do finish it I'll hand it out like (Explitive edited out by ROWUK) candy. But if you don't want what I transcribed then too bad.

5. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I must admit to not fully understanding a lot of the new jazz (with exceptions I enjoy listening, but sure couldn't play or sing it). I remember going to the Cotton Club in Hamburg with a bunch of students from Merry Ol' England, which was good except that the guys I was with kept talking loudly, annoying the other patrons, and wondering in (sadly) familiar fashion why shouldn't they have a good time having paid the door fee etc. Later on one of the guys told me he felt they were waiting too long for the band to play some music, when I asked him why did they go if not to listen to the band?

The next time I went there I went with a friend who actually wanted to listen and that was so much better.

--bumblebee

(I am sure I was there before they had a website, but they certainly have one now: COTTON CLUB - Hamburgs erster Jazzkeller)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  6. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I have been through the pain/joy of transcribing from a recording a few times. The first "complex" transcription I did was of the trumpet in the recording of "Chan Chan" played by the Buena Vista Social Club at Cargenie Hall. It took me weeks, playing back a couple of seconds at a time over and over, slicing and rearranging the notes in Notation Composer which I had a trial of (but didn't end up buying, preferring later to use MuseScore). That was exhausting.

For subsequent transcriptions I used my electric piano which can record what I play as a MIDI file on to a USB drive, which I can then import into MuseScore. Similar to my first effort, I play the tune in small chunks over and over, and play along with them on the piano until I think I get each second or two (or phrase if I'm lucky) right. This results in multiple (!) MIDI files from which I sort out which are about right, then use the MuseScore score editor to slice out the bits at the start and end of each little segment which don't belong, then string what's left together in the right order. I adjust timing, rests, at this time too. Again, not automatic or all that easy, but an improvement on my Chan Chan job.

I haven't tried this in 3 or 4 years now, and these days just try to learn the licks, the thoughts behind the ornaments and embellishments, and try to play tunes with my own augmentation rather than trying to copy the nuances of one expert or another (mainly because that's still just so hard).

--bumblebee

7. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Is Candy a real goer, then? Can anyone climb on for a ride?

8. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Sounds like a ball-ache when you can just listen and play!

There's a Russian guy who has had a bash at doing a JM with this song and I doubt he transcribed it. Posting links is misery with this tablet thing I am on but if you enter 'James Morrison Basin Street' into the search box and scroll down until you see a dude in green sitting at a piano, that's the one.

9. bumblebee

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I suppose that might work for me, but sometimes I have been writing the stuff out for other players too. Mainly the sax and trombone in the band I was in. I also did a sheet for our guitar player once which was a real effort, then to be told later he only wanted the main chord names for the phrases and not the notation I had written out.

And this is the dude in green you didn't link to I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW9Sin8l0VI

--bumblebee

10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    ChrisDB, there are a number of us who are willing to give you the benefit of the doubt as to understanding your level of notation skills. Be aware that there are hundreds of people reading this thread that choose not to chime in (like myself, up to now.) Some of our members are a little prone to speak with too much candor for our fragile egos to handle. However, self-reflection can lead to growth, and anything that doesn't kill you just makes you stronger. Take a deep breath.