Anybody wanna transcribe this?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChrisDB, Feb 20, 2015.

1. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    At, that's the one. Thanks for that.

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Don't forget to cover the left hand stride piano as well. ;)

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    At least, he is a super guy at marketing!!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No one has been yelling. We were just "to the point" addressing certain things that we take for granted among colleagues. Nothing is "hard" except when you don't have the will power to succeed. There just is no cheap download to quality.

If you are even considering doing a half ass job on the transcription, then don't waste your time at all. There is nothing worse than signing your name to something only 50%. It is not good for your own opinion of yourself, and it certainly does not improve your standing with people that like to help YOU become the best that you can.

5. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Can I have a shouty yell, then? PROGRESSIVE JAZZ SUCKS! :D

OK. Now I'm going to post something useful as well. Chris, is it just this song and this rendition that you want? I'm only asking because you said you were interested in learning jazz through transcription, I think. Well, if you want some professionally done transcriptions with recordings, have a look at the Edition DUX collections. They are German so tend not to be as well known as, say, Hal leonard, but as far as I can tell they include melodies and known improvisations of popular numbers. They come with quality backing tracks too, with demo and 'karaoke' tracks. I've got several of them. I'll even type out the URL for you, nice guy that I am:

Willkommen bei der Edition Dux

Take a look at the sax and clarinet offerings too as there seem to be more of them, but they are in Bb and can be adapted.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Without even beginning to get into the weeds of this thread, I'm blown away by what he did there. I can't sing and play drums at the same time, and that's child's play compared to what he did there. That's just freaking astounding. His brain is processing so much stuff, with a level of coordination that's mind-boggling.

7. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Obvious talent aside, he's doing this stuff all day every day and I doubt he'd go on stage without having practised that so he could do it in his sleep. I think we can all learn to do new things, but as busy adults with a less playful and tolerant mentality than that of a child, we are prone to quitting sooner or just avoiding the pain of learning altogether. If you trained yourself to sing and play drums, I am sure you could do it in the end. Just as a matter of interest can you sing and play the guitar at the same time?

I saw a chap sing and play a trombone once. Well, it was humming rather than singing, but hey!

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    When I was playing my horn all day, every day, I wasn't even close to being able to do any of that. As someone further up the thread said, that video makes me feel pretty inadequate.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I just remembered a story a Dutch friend of mine told me -- he gave up transcribing a German pop song ("Klar" by Jan Delay if anybody's curious) for his band and instead gave the job to an arranger mate who agreed to do it if he was kept in beer while he was working on it.

I don't know if the beer made the job easier, but it represents a price/rate for doing the work.

--bumblebee

10. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    That was despicable me.