Anyone care to explain

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AKtrumpet, May 26, 2014.

1. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
  2. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Awesome playing btw!

3. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    I guess it could be for leadpipe buzzing too

4. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    The bracing seems to go to the lead pipe he isn't using... I didn't watch all the way through... is there another camera angle close up that shows how the other pipe is attached?
    Maybe it's soldered right to the un-used one? I just wonder about the physics of the thing.
    Of course it does'nt really matter - he sounds great! -just wondering...
    :-?

5. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    The unused pipe looks longer than the one he's blowing through. Wonder if it's for playing in A?

Or it could be a jerry-rigged last minute fix :-)

Loved the half-valved glissando at the start. Made it worth rewatching to try and see the setup he's using.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have seen this years ago in Germany for testing leadpipes. There was a small piece that is inserted into the original receiver to hold in place. Some players liked the leadpipe "loose" and used it this way all the time. In this case the soldered leadpipe looks long enough to pitch the trumpet in A.

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
  8. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    There seem to be a few posts on the site that shall not be named regarding this. According to some, tjcombo is right. The one leadpipe is slightly longer to facilitate tuning the horn to A.

When I first saw it I wondered if it's so he can swap a standard tuning slide with a reverse one on the fly. I can't get a good enough look at the horn to see, but this would also account for one being slightly longer.