Anyone do drum corp?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jan 29, 2012.

1. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Meh, the point I was making is that going to state isn't that big of deal. High school level marching is just not impressive. DCI on the other hand.....

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Meh? Meh??? come on...... you know its hard to even get to state. Yeah, high school isnt too amazing.

DCI is just insane, thats like comparing a race car to a tricycle. They are professional players and marchers.

3. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Why isn't someone addressing the fact that no one ever learned to play their instrument in a Marching Band? This statement is true stop and think. Also most marching bands do not play very musically. Now understand I said no most not all.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Are you sure of that? I would bet that some of the DCI players learned to play and march and that is why they are so good. Maybe even someone here learned when marching.

5. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    Yea, I'll have to agree with that. My teacher told me he can only see the flaws in marching bands after he did drum corp.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Just wait until DCI starts and read the posts that pop up here. Every year the same story..... Search on DCI. Read the through the threads.

High school marching band has a community function. It also does not require artificial functionality. You are not there to WIN or CONQUER. That puts it FAR AHEAD of the DCI crowd in my book.

I am proud of the high school marching bands, regardless of level. It is a shame that there are not alot more community musical activities.

7. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US

Guess you have never seen some of the schools in Florida.....
    Not us, we just go for the fun of it and then we go to a mall for a few hours.

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Your information is incorrect.

Drum Corps are community musical activities. The largest junior corps (like Cadets, Blue Devils, etc.) have several units, typically broken down by skill level. If you don't have the chops for the A corps, then you don't break your face playing there. Music and technical proficiency are stressed.

Senior (and now alumni) corps are usually comprised of older members (or younger ones who can't afford the time/expense of the junior corps) and like the juniors they are very focused on the quality of their product. Yes, years ago drum corps was typified by playing as loud and high as humanly possible, but times change.

As for community involvement, corps regularly participate in community parades and festivals, and many try to maintain a strong connection to local high schools.

I marched with a senior corps (Hawthorne Caballeros) from age 18 - 28. I directly attribute the development of my "lead" chops to the summers I spent marching. While we did have to play high and loud at times, we spent the bulk of our practice on style, rhythm, articulation, and intonation.

...and don't for a second think that high school kids don't care about winning. Winning is what drives many of them to work a little harder than they have to.

codyb226 likes this.
  9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    A person would be hard pressed to get better brass instruction than what is provided by DCI corps. I practiced one day with Carolina Crown in the summer of 94.I was being given the opportunity to march 3rd soprano to fill a hole. Unfortunately, my parents wouldn't allow it. Many of the same breathing techniques mentioned on trumpetmaster were being taught and reinforced daily at Crown rehearsals. DCI is NOT marching band. Especially these days. Even if you can play you might not be able to make the cut if you can't move. These kids do insane things while playing their butts off these days.

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Yes, many people do learn an instrument during the season. Crossmen had a contra player that was actually a flute. He marched well enough and barely got by on the audition, so on and so forth. All my band directors are DCI vets and they have similar stories. And High school marching bands, especially in Texas, are cut throat about winning. Actually, Rowuk, as a side note, I have read your circle of breath thread and something similar like it was taught to me by a brass guy from the Cavaliers.