Anyone else love Herb Alpert and the TJB?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Dec 30, 2008.

1. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    As a young boy, I grew up listening to the great Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. We had a pile of their albums, and he was the one who inspired me to become a trumpet player.This Christmas I received as a gift from my wife a 3-CD set,containing Whipped Cream and other Delights, Going Places, and What now my love.It has all of my fave TJB songs.Yes, I know all of you Maynard supporters probably dont like Herb, but he's my favorite trumpet player-my sound is alot like his(no coincidence) Any body feel the same as me?:play:

2. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I listened the Tijuanna Brass as a kid. I grew up in a community where there were a lot of trumpet players, so we listened to a variety of things. Doc was our primary focus at the time. He was on TV every night. Then, Herb, because he was on the radio. As most already know, Bob Findley played with the group.

Pete

3. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I also grew up with Herb Alpert (and Satchmo, my motherĀ“s favourite!).
    I had some of their records, and I used to play along with the tunes,
    improvising an extra trumpet part.

The glamour of the band dropped a bit when our gymnastics teacher
    at school started using one of their tunes in his class activities . . .

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Herb Alpert....

I was 10 years old in 1962 when he released El Solo Toro, I ws hooked then and listened to all I could find for the next 10 years.

I even played in a TJB type band in high school. Man, he was popular.

I still enjoy listening.

-cw-

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I grew to like most of Herb's music during the 60's and had most of his albums at one time. Very much "you had to be there" time. That sort of Latin flavored music was very popular,i.e. Mariachi Brass, Brasil 66, even Kenton doing a Bossa Nova album! , Getz/Gilberto plus many others. Alpert's music was upbeat, had a "beat" and arrangements making good use of uncluttered lines, but making good use with the instrumentation they had. I seem to recall a bit of reverb, some background vocal presences. There were many tunes that stick in my head even today.
    On the business side he and his organization were obviously successful, putting out sheet music over the years that many used in school bands and his music is being enjoyed by a couple of different generations which
    take different things from it depending on the context of their life experiences. Never forget that whipped cream cover!:thumbsup:

6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I am much older than Solar Bell [was 13 in 62] and had all their albums [plus Baja Marimba Band]. I still like his smooth style and tone.

7. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    He wrote well, played poorley, had a bunch of women and liked to party.
    Never cared much for his sound, but he produced good albums !!!

Hoghorn

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Can you back up those statements?????

He WAS a member of the USC marching band....maybe just a poor member. He DID get a degree in music from SC.

He has had only two wives, married to the last one for over 35 years now.

You like him or you don't, period.

Let's not start bashing ANYONE here on TM.....it won't fly.

By the way, I seem to remember he did sort of OK on Zorba the Greek. I haven't heard many others play it, if any.

Chuck Willard--Moderator

9. joefab

joefab Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2008
    I agrre with you SolarBell...Herp Alpert is a class act!!...in every sense of the word.

10. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I couldn't think of the Baja Marimba Band. Heck , I was 20 in 62, so again claim the title of "old Geezer Dave" now that you have relinquished it. I agree,the smooth sound and slick production helped. I had forgotten about Zorba. That showed he could play!:-)The whole thing was meant to be commercial.