Anyone else love Herb Alpert and the TJB?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Oh hey, Don't get the idea I'm Bashing him or anyone......He's a trumpet player and
    that makes him a member of an elete group of people, no doubt. Anyone can graduate
    from college, even in performance, it dosen't mean your a great player. The guy has a LOT of good qualities, as I mentioned, but comon, you or I can play that stuff better than he does without EVER Practicing. He was never one of my Idols when it came to sound or style. Youtube him and listen to him, I mean really listen to his sound and tell me if you REALLY like the way he sounds. Personally I don't care for his sound, thats not a bash. I'm sure there are people that don't care for my sound, it's not a big deal. He's a very talented person, AND a great individual. Just my opinion, not to be taken as a bash, sorry if I offended anyone.

Hoghorn

2. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    It's like you write in your posts Chuck...

"Don't be afraid to see what you see" R. Reagan

Great statement !

Hoghorn

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    "Anyone can graduate
    from college, even in performance, it dosen't mean your a great player. The guy has a LOT of good qualities, as I mentioned, but comon, you or I can play that stuff better than he does without EVER Practicing."

I think that's the part that comes off poorly when you say you're not "bashing" him. Could you play technically better than Herb, louis Armstrong, or maybe even Chuck Mangione? Perhaps. But what you were hearing was distinctly THEM.

You don't have to like him, but the criticism is a bit harsh...

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Regardless of whether you like him or not, Herb Albert along with Al Hirt were the last two players to put the trumpet before the masses. lets hope that Chris Bonti will bring it back.

5. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    I agree to disagree : - )

It's time to go warm-up !!

Hoghorn

6. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    I too grew up listening to Herb & TJB, Al Hirt, & Doc. All Great trumpet players.

Until the last post, I was surprised that no one had mentioned Al Hirt. He also gets bashed by some for selling out to the masses with pop songs like Java, but Al was classicly trained & could play virtually anything. Al had one of the richest & fullest sounds I've ever heard.

I had & still have nearly all of Herb's LP's (yes vinyl), as well as all his newly released CD's.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Hey, I was 10 in 1962, too! I grew up listening to my parents' TJB albums and still like it to this day. I even have a later Herb Alpert solo CD or two in my collection. I like his style - it's very unique. True, most of the music was not that technically demanding, but that's pop music - tunes that are fun to listen to, that get stuck in your head. He and Al Hirt (another of my favs) did it very well.

8. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    anyone want to mention how much money he has donated, playing to the masses was worth it [also selling off A&M music]. I'm sorry but I do like his tone. [also Doc's, Al H's., Don J. and a multitude of others]

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Alpert and Hirt, the trumpet icons of their day! No one has come close to their prominence since. No one. The man (woman, kid) on the street knew them as famous trumpet players, as famous as astronauts, quarterbacks, and Presidents.
    veery

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    He has donated $30,000,000 to UCLA, founding the Herb Alpert School of Music within the UCLA School of the Arts and Architecture, and $24,000,000 (including $15M in April 2008) to the California Institute of the Arts (CALARTS) for its music program.

-cw-