Anyone else love Herb Alpert and the TJB?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by guitarsrmine, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Al Hirt was a smoking dixieland player. his records are hard to come by but his pier 66 stuff was burning! I remember driving around in my car and being able to hear Al hirt or Herb Albert on the radio and there was "Wonderland by Night". I got to slow dance to a trumpet solo. How cool was that! OK I was 12 in 1960! I took the "Loney Bull" off the record. When was the last time any of your children heard a solo trumpet on one of their pop songs? Heck when was the last ime any of us heard a solo trumpet in a pop song? How many people do you know even know what a trumpet sounds like?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    In college I worked 3rd shift at a grocery store. The Muzak station they played had a few Herb Albert songs, Spanish Flea, Touch of Honey, etc. I had no idea who it was and everybody made fun of it, but I eventually found the CD and then everybody made fun of ME. :D

3. bigpapajosh

bigpapajosh Pianissimo User

Aug 10, 2008
    Titusville Florida
    i cant say ive grown up to herb, but i am growing up with it, between me and my dad, we have every album. and whoever said maynard fans probably wont like him, i guess im the exception.
    and, i think hes an excellent player for the style hes playing, and his sound fits the style like i dont think anyone else could.

4. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    Bob Good point !! I'm STILL trying to figure out what a trumpet sounds like,
    and it humbles me daily !!!

Hoghorn

5. TrumpetJ

TrumpetJ New Friend

Dec 28, 2008
    Knoxville,TN
    I LOVE listening to Herb! I always remembered in middle school hearing about Herb Alpert from my dad and how he would play along during his short lived trumpeting days. I got the Definitive Hits CD for Christmas a few years back and have worn that album out. I get Whistlestar from the newer "Lost Treasures" album stuck in my head quite a bit as of late.